Click here to listen
Key figures in the technology world want the training of powerful artificial intelligence systems to be suspended amid fears of a threat to humanity.
They have signed an open letter warning of potential risks, and say the race to develop AI systems, such as the presently popular ChatGPT, is out of control.
Also in the programme: How an over-the-counter treatment could save tens of thousands of lives among those overdosing on opoid drugs; and the suffering of cobalt miners in the Democratic Republic of Congo that you never knew your electric car was causing.
(Photo shows the introduction page of ChatGPT, an interactive AI chatbot model trained and developed by OpenAI, on its website. Credit: Wu Hao/EPA)
- Beyond ChatGPT: Stuart Russell on the Risks and Rewards of A.I.
- BBC World Service – Tech Life, Is AI racing ahead too fast?
- Beauty or the Beast: The True Cost of Chat-GPT
For the questions concerning the role of AI, humane values and human survival in a complex ecosystem see related:
- While Angels Weep… Doing Theology on a Small Planet
- The Harvard Seminar on Environmental Values (HSEV)
- Transition Studies
- Global Balliol
* * *