Tim Weiskel Mar 24, 2023
- Hidden Wars of Desert Storm – parts 6 and 7
- Has the West Poisoned Iraq’s New Generation? “Depleted Uranium: The Double-Edged Weapon” Journeyman Pictures (1999)
- Ten Years Later, U.S. Has Left Iraq With Mass Displacement & Epidemic of Birth Defects, Cancers
- Depleted Uranium – CONSEQUENCE OF WAR: BIRTH DEFECTS Surge After UK-US MILITARY ACTION In IRAQ. Study Finds
- Talk – Dr. Doug Rokke – Depleted Uranium (DU)
- Fallujah babies born with birth defects as a result of Depleted Uranium WMD contaminated dust
- “Using Depleted Uranium as a Weapon”
- Depleted Uranium Training Video- DU is a WMD
- Pentagon Admits It Used Depleted Uranium (DU) Munitions in Syria
- Feminist Activists Document Epidemic of Birth Defects Near U.S. Munitions Dumps in Iraq
Meanwhile other news stories seem to displace the importance of DU in the daily headlines. When information is available it is often buried in the onslaught of other items that vie for our attention. Consider, for example the position of DU issues in the news headline summary of 23 March 2023:
How important does the information about DU seem in relation to the other headlines appearing within the same week?
- BBC World Service – Newshour, UN climate report warns of disaster
- How the climate crisis catalyzes mass migration
- BBC World Service – Newshour, UN issues dire warning over water
Overwhelmed with the magnitude of other events and global trends, the use of depleted uranium munitions in combat seems to be of relatively minor importance in the minds of many. Nevertheless, since those who have boasted of its importance in armed combat affirm, these armaments have been used in battles from Iraq to Cosovo and now, seemingly, they are being made available to Ukrainian forces in what many see as a proxy war between Russia and the western alliance. How long will it be before the international arms traders make these highly lethal weapons available to the Russian forces whose leaders have vowed to “respond” to what they label as an escalation of war in the Ukraine.
Public citizens and their elected representatives remain massively uninformed about the long-term and large scale implications of using these weapons. The few that remember the impact of using these munitions in the two Iraq wars may continue to protest, but they are marginalize and effectively silenced, even as their message becomes more and more shrill.
It is little wonder that some observers — aware of these atrocities from the past and their potential re-appearance in current armed conflicts — feel that the global public is sleepwalking to extinction.
Marking Yale ’68’s
55th Class Reunion
- The Tragedy is that “We treat soil like dirt” — Topsoil, Climate Change and the Collapse of Civilizations | EV & N – 255 | CCTV
- The world needs topsoil to grow 95% of its food – but it’s rapidly disappearing | US news | The Guardian
- Agriculture, Topsoil and the Ecology of Colonialism | EV & N – 285 | CCTV
- Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) by fixing carbon in bio-enriched topsoil, building fertility and abandoning petro-intensive agriculture
- “Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be…” (Yogi Berra)
* * *