The Beinecke Library has digitized more than a million images of collections material. We are very excited to announce that the Yale University Library has launched a new digital collections platform for improved viewing experience. The new interface is now home to all Beinecke Library digitized images. Over time, other Yale Library digital collections will be moved to this platform to create an even more seamless user experience across multiple collections and repositories. Use the search box below to explore digitized images from Beinecke Library collections. (For other Yale Library digital collections, begin your search here.) Watch this introductory video to learn more:
The vast majority of our digital collections are open to the public (some material must be restricted to the Yale network). Material may be covered by U.S. or international copy, publicity or privacy rights. For more information about image reuse, see about permissions and copyright.
While the Beinecke Library’s digitized materials is large – and new material is added regularly – it represents only a fraction of total collections material on-site. Learn more about searching the overall collections here. All cataloged books, pamphlets, periodicals, broadsides, published materials, single manuscript volumes, and small archival collections are discoverable in Orbis. In addition, Orbis includes collection-level records for large archival collections. However, due to the complex nature of large archival collections, we recommend researchers interested in those archives also search Archives at Yale.
Please note that audiovisual material housed on the previous digital library has been moved to a new dedicated platform here. You can search for digital and digitized sound and visual recordings there. Note: not all a/v collections material has been digitized. More information about ordering reproductions can be found here. You can begin with a simple keyword search below. Enjoy!
- Introduction to the Digital Library
- Portolan Charts – Beinecke, Yale University
- Portolan charts – Yale University Library
- Portolan Charts | Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Ray Clemens on The World in Maps – Mondays at Beinecke, September 26, 2022
- Mondays at Beinecke Online: Richard Pflederer on Portolan Charts
- Early Days in African Historical Cartography ~ From the Portolan Charts to Printed Maps: Imagining and Imaging Africa in the Atlantic System – Part 1
- Early Days in African Historical Cartography: From the Portolan Charts to Printed Maps: Imagining and Imaging Africa in the Atlantic System – Part 2