About the Aburi Botanic Gardens
Aburi Botanical Gardens is a botanical garden in Aburi in Eastern region of South Ghana. The garden occupies an area of 64.8 hectares. It was opened in March, 1890 and was founded by Governor William Brandford-Griffith and Dr John Farrell Easmon, a Sierra Leonean medical doctor. Wikipedia
Aburi Botanic Garden was officially opened in March 1890. The Garden has had many roles over the years including plant introduction and teaching scientific methods of agriculture but today is one of the world’s 1,800 botanic gardens leading the fight to save plant diversity through, research, conservation of medicinal plants, plant multiplication, horticulture training and environmental education.
Prior to the establishment of the garden, the Gold Coast Government had built a sanatorium at the site for convalescing Government officials in 1875. In 1899, during the Governorship of His Excellency Sir W. Brandford-Griffith K.G.M.G., a few hectares of land was cleared in vicinity of the sanatorium to begin the Botanic Deparment.
The clearing was done under the supervision of a German serving the Basel Mission. In 1890 Mr. William Crowther, a student from the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew arrived in the Gold Coast(now Ghana) as the first curator of the botanic garden.
Aburi Botanic Gardens
PO Box 23, ABURI, Akwiapim, Ghana.
P.O.Box M169 Accra Ghana
Telephone: 233 2176 4337
Fax: 233 2177 7821
Director’s Name: George Owusu-Afriyie
Curator’s Name: vacant
Plant Records Officer’s Name: Albert Prempeh
About the Garden
- Institution Type: Botanic Garden
- Status: State: Yes
Status: Educational: Yes
- Date founded: 1890
- Physical Data
- Natural Vegetation Area: Yes
Natural vegetation area: Size: 52 Hectares
- Landscaped Area: Yes
Landscaped Area: Size: 12 Hectares
- Total Area: 64 Hectares
Altitude: 460.00 Metres
Features and Facilities
6 March 2007