Gross-Friedrichsburg, the Brandenburgian, later Prussian fort on the coast of Ghana in West Africa was built by the Grand Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg.
Under the reign of the Elector Friedrich-Wilhelm von Brandenburg (1640 – 1688), an “African Company,” was founded. It built a fort on the Gold Coast known as Gross-Friedrichsburg initially under Brandenburgian and later Prussian control. This company for about forty years ruled from several African forts at: Arguin, Takrama, Takoradi, Akwida (Ft. Dorothea), Whydah and specifically Gross-Friedrichsburg at Princestown (or Princess Town or Poquefoe).
See as well:
The story of the fort and of the Brandenburgian colonial adventure is told by Ulrich van der Heyden in his book: Rote Adler an Afrikas Küste: Die brandenburgisch-preußische Kolonie Großfriedrichsburg in Westafrika.
This volume was published initially in 1993 and republished in a 2nd revised edition in May 2001 by Selignow publishers.
The fort of Gross-Friedrichsburg is today part of the World’s Cultural Heritage.
It is preserved by, among others, the “Brandenburg – Princess Town – Eine Welt e.V.” association.