Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Building a 100 Percent Clean Economy: Solutions for Economy-Wide Deep Decarbonization December 6, 2019
- COP25 in Madrid: UN Secretary-General Guterres says planet is ‘close to a point of no return’ December 6, 2019
- COP25: Alternative Climate Summit Honors Those “Suffering the Crimes of Transnational Corporations” December 6, 2019
- “It’s Our Future”: Meet the Youth Activists Behind Fridays for Future Mo vements in Uganda and Chile December 6, 2019
- Why Are Some of Spain’s Biggest Polluters Sponsoring U.N. Climate Summit? December 6, 2019
- Why the U.K. establishment is terrified of Jeremy Corbyn December 6, 2019
- Saudi Aramco Raises $25.6 Billion in Historic IPO December 6, 2019
- Climate change: Greta Thunberg mobbed at UN climate talks – BBC News December 6, 2019
- Why do Christian evangelicals have faith in Trump? – UpFront December 6, 2019
- China-USA Trade War: The Long Term Implications Of The Trade War December 6, 2019
- How China Is Profiting Billions From the Trade War December 6, 2019
- How Trump’s Trade War Went From Method to Madness December 6, 2019
- Harvard/Yale 1968: The Game December 6, 2019
- Harvard beats Yale 29-29 (1968) December 6, 2019
- New England Tourism Destinations Endangered By The Changing Tides December 6, 2019
- IMHO: Forgetter-In-Chief December 6, 2019
- Saudi Aramco’s eight decades of history – BBC News December 6, 2019
- Articles of impeachment next step facing Trump December 5, 2019
- Why Are We Subsidizing Fossil Fuels? December 5, 2019
- Why You Can’t Have The Green New Deal Without Young People December 5, 2019
- The Green New Deal Doesn’t Need Republicans December 5, 2019
- Extinction Rebellion: Times Square Takeover December 5, 2019
- Greta Thunberg Does The Carbon Budget Math December 5, 2019
- House Speaker Pelosi Announces Articles of Impeachment Draft December 5, 2019
- See The Damning Evidence In New Trump Impeachment Report | The Beat With Ari Melber | MSNBC December 5, 2019
- Democrats Move to Draft Articles of Impeachment Against Trump December 5, 2019
- WATCH: Pelosi fires back at reporter who asks if she ‘hates’ Trump December 5, 2019
- The Reporter Who Asked Nancy Pelosi About Hating Trump Is Human Garbage December 5, 2019
- Eriel Deranger on Teck Frontier Mine at COP 25 December 5, 2019
- 9/11: An Architect’s Guide – Part 2 – Twin Towers’ Explosive Destruction (11-14-19) Webinar – Gage) December 5, 2019
- 9/11: An Architect’s Guide | Part 1: World Trade Center 7 (12/5/19 webinar – R Gage) December 5, 2019
- 9/11: An Architect’s Guide – Part 3: The Twin Towers and Extreme Heat (12/19/19 Webinar December 5, 2019
- Severe Weather Warning | Emma Thompson | Extinction Rebellion December 5, 2019
- GWSP: Leveraging Knowledge and Engagement to Solve the Water Crisis December 5, 2019
- Politicians Reap Unlimited Lobbyist Gifts December 5, 2019
- Obama ‘can’t take a stand’ says Cornel West December 5, 2019
- Threshold Series Lecture – Cornel West December 5, 2019
- We Have Saturated The Earth With Really Dangerous Toxins December 5, 2019
- Cornel West: There is ‘a neo-fascist in the White House’ | UpFront December 5, 2019
- Are These Signs of Oncoming Economic Disaster? December 5, 2019
- 2019 Presidential Forum on Environmental Justice December 5, 2019
- Fiona Watson: Indigenous groups face “genocide” protecting Amazon December 5, 2019
- Edward Snowden: If I Came Back to the U.S., I Would Likely Die in Prison for Telling the Truth December 5, 2019
- Building a 100 Percent Clean Economy: Solutions for Economy-Wide Deep Decarbonization December 5, 2019
- Report: Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions to Hit Record High in 2019 December 5, 2019
- Impeachment Report Reveals Who Rudy Giuliani Was Calling – Day That Was | MSNBC December 5, 2019
- Harvard Students Protest University Decision to Deny Tenure to Popular Latina Professor December 5, 2019
- Aminatou Haidar Honored For Decades of Peaceful Resistance in Western Sahara, Africa’s Last Colony December 5, 2019
- “Alternative Nobel Prize:” Right Livelihood Award Celebrates 40 Years Honoring Grassroots Activists December 5, 2019
- Greta Thunberg To Be Honored for Climate Activism With Right Livelihood Award December 5, 2019
Daily Archives: March 28, 2019
By Sarah Lazarus, CNN Updated 0550 GMT (1350 HKT) March 27, 2019
(CNN) In 2014, Mark Sabbatini noticed cracks in his apartment walls. Then a mysterious bulge appeared in his bedroom and the apartment block’s communal staircase became crooked. “Doors and windows weren’t shutting properly,” he says.
Sabbatini, the editor of a local newspaper, was living in Longyearbyen, the world’s northernmost town located just 800 miles from the North Pole, which is also the capital of a cluster of Norwegian islands called Svalbard.
A landscape of jagged mountains, fjords and glaciers, Svalbard — which experiences four months of darkness in winter, and four months of daylight in summer — is built on permanently frozen ground called permafrost.
For years, permafrost provided a base as hard as concrete. But now it’s melting — and that’s proving to be a problem.
Sabbatini says his building was damaged because it started sinking into the softening ground.
Inger Hanssen-Bauer, senior researcher at the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and editor of a new report about Svalbard, says the climate in Longyearbyen is probably warming faster than in any other town on Earth. That’s because of accelerated Arctic warming.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Rose to All-Time High in 2018 + U.N. Secretary-General: Cyclone Idai Latest Warning Sign on Climate
Mar 27, 2019
In more climate news, global greenhouse gas emissions rose to an all-time high in 2018, with countries adding over 33 billion tons of heat-trapping carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. An International Energy Agency study found global CO2 levels rose by 1.7 percent last year. U.S. emissions rose by over 3 percent, while Europe and Japan saw slight decreases.
U.N. Secretary-General: Cyclone Idai Latest Warning Sign on Climate
Meanwhile, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said Tuesday that Cyclone Idai is the latest “alarm bell” about the dangers of climate change. The storm killed over 750 people and has left nearly 2 million people in need of assistance in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe.
Secretary-General António Guterres: “Cyclone Idai was an uncommonly fierce and prolonged storm, yet another alarm bell about the dangers of climate change, especially in vulnerable, at-risk countries. Such events are becoming more frequent, more severe and devastating and more widespread, and this will only get worse if we do not act now.”
Mar 27, 2019
The Senate on Tuesday rejected the Green New Deal, after 43 Democrats voted “present” on the measure introduced by Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Four other Democrats joined all 53 Republican senators in voting against the Green New Deal. Democrats—including the bill’s champion, New York Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez—blasted McConnell’s move as a “stunt vote.”
The Green New Deal seeks to transform the U.S. economy through funding renewable energy while ending U.S. carbon dioxide emissions by 2030. Democratic leaders have resisted backing the deal, which has the support of all 2020 Democratic presidential hopefuls in Congress.