Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Uncle Juan Carlos: A Preventable COVID-19 Tragedy • Vote 2020 October 22, 2020
- Highlights of Donald Trump’s Leaked Interview with ’60 Minutes’ | NowThis October 22, 2020
- Top U.S. & World Headlines — October 22, 2020 October 22, 2020
- “A Barrett Confirmation Is a Catastrophe”: What Democrats Can Do to Block Trump’s Supreme Court Pick October 22, 2020
- Introduction to Omeka October 22, 2020
- Omeka and Digital Archives (HASTAC Scholars Digital Collections Webinar with Jim McGrath) October 22, 2020
- Teaching and Researching with Scalar (HASTAC Scholars Webinar) October 22, 2020
- Webinar: Education as if the Earth Mattered October 22, 2020
- Sahel: Fastest Growing Crises! 2 million people displaced October 22, 2020
- Meet the young environmentalists restoring Nairobi’s ‘lungs’ October 22, 2020
- LIVE on Oct. 22 at 9:30 a.m.: Former CIA director John O. Brennan with David Ignatius October 22, 2020
- Angles on Bending Lines: with guest Maggie Owens October 22, 2020
- Teach with Maps : Maury Whale Chart (Episode 1) October 22, 2020
- The political economy of COVID-19: Impacts on agriculture and food policies October 22, 2020
- Global Skills Outlook 2021: Scenarios for a Learning Reset October 22, 2020
- How are immigrants treated in the US? | We Need To Talk October 22, 2020
- Emily Wilson, “Plagues from the Past”: 2020 Mark Strand Memorial Reading at Beinecke Library October 22, 2020
- Rapid diagnostic testing for COVID-19 in Africa October 22, 2020
- Expanding the Supreme Court, Explained | NowThis October 21, 2020
- The Palgrave Handbook of Islam in Africa: Fallou Ngom, Mustapha H. Kurfi, Toyin Falola October 21, 2020
- Burning the Books: A History of the Deliberate Destruction of Knowledge: Ovenden, Richard October 21, 2020
- “After more than a century, the science is clear. The economics is clear.” William D. Nordhaus October 21, 2020
- Experts give briefing on Covid-19 at Union world conference – watch live October 21, 2020
- Upcoming Religion & Ecology Events – October 2020 October 21, 2020
- Tim Bennett Explains: Why the oil price is so volatile October 21, 2020
- Here’s What Drives The Price Of Oil | CNBC October 21, 2020
- Petroleum – modern history of oil October 21, 2020
- U.S. election determined by former felons? October 21, 2020
- As Trump Plummets, Niece Mary Trump Tells Media To Stop Pretending He’s ‘Normal’ | MSNBC October 21, 2020
- Nigeria: security forces in Lagos open fire on protesters fighting against police brutality October 21, 2020
- ‘You can’t have your cake and eat it’: EU council president on Brexit October 21, 2020
- Trump’s Closing Message is Full Authoritarianism | NowThis October 21, 2020
- Tim O’Brien: Trump’s Reported Chinese Bank Account Is A National Security Threat | The Last Word October 21, 2020
- NYT Exposes Trump Chinese Bank Account, Millions In China-Connected Deals While President October 21, 2020
- Trump called CNN ‘bastards’ for covering Covid-19. Hear Keilar’s response October 21, 2020
- Fauci on his media restrictions, Trump contracting COVID, masks, voting and more October 21, 2020
- Trump abruptly ends ’60 Minutes’ solo interview October 21, 2020
- How America could lose its allies | 2020 Election October 21, 2020
- How to Stop Trump from Stealing the Election | Robert Reich October 21, 2020
- The Good Shepherd Official Trailer October 20, 2020
- Novum Organum ‘New Method’: Francis Bacon October 20, 2020
- Sen. Cory Gardner Spreads Climate Conspiracies | NowThis October 20, 2020
- How Two Ex-Green Berets Were Lured Into A Disastrous Failed Coup In Venezuela October 20, 2020
- If you adults won’t save the world, we will | Xiye Bastida October 20, 2020
- Top U.S. & World Headlines — October 20, 2020 October 20, 2020
- “A Fire That Has Spread Across the Country”: Jelani Cobb on Voter Suppression in the 2020 Election October 20, 2020
- “A Blow Against Neoliberalism”: Socialist Wins Bolivia Election a Year After Coup Ousted Evo Morales October 20, 2020
- Equity and Justice in Carbon Removal October 19, 2020
- Joe’s Climate Plan October 19, 2020
- “Totally Under Control”: New documentary explores Trump administration’s COVID-19 failure October 19, 2020
Daily Archives: March 28, 2019
By Sarah Lazarus, CNN Updated 0550 GMT (1350 HKT) March 27, 2019
(CNN) In 2014, Mark Sabbatini noticed cracks in his apartment walls. Then a mysterious bulge appeared in his bedroom and the apartment block’s communal staircase became crooked. “Doors and windows weren’t shutting properly,” he says.
Sabbatini, the editor of a local newspaper, was living in Longyearbyen, the world’s northernmost town located just 800 miles from the North Pole, which is also the capital of a cluster of Norwegian islands called Svalbard.
A landscape of jagged mountains, fjords and glaciers, Svalbard — which experiences four months of darkness in winter, and four months of daylight in summer — is built on permanently frozen ground called permafrost.
For years, permafrost provided a base as hard as concrete. But now it’s melting — and that’s proving to be a problem.
Sabbatini says his building was damaged because it started sinking into the softening ground.
Inger Hanssen-Bauer, senior researcher at the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and editor of a new report about Svalbard, says the climate in Longyearbyen is probably warming faster than in any other town on Earth. That’s because of accelerated Arctic warming.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Rose to All-Time High in 2018 + U.N. Secretary-General: Cyclone Idai Latest Warning Sign on Climate
Mar 27, 2019
In more climate news, global greenhouse gas emissions rose to an all-time high in 2018, with countries adding over 33 billion tons of heat-trapping carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. An International Energy Agency study found global CO2 levels rose by 1.7 percent last year. U.S. emissions rose by over 3 percent, while Europe and Japan saw slight decreases.
U.N. Secretary-General: Cyclone Idai Latest Warning Sign on Climate
Meanwhile, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said Tuesday that Cyclone Idai is the latest “alarm bell” about the dangers of climate change. The storm killed over 750 people and has left nearly 2 million people in need of assistance in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe.
Secretary-General António Guterres: “Cyclone Idai was an uncommonly fierce and prolonged storm, yet another alarm bell about the dangers of climate change, especially in vulnerable, at-risk countries. Such events are becoming more frequent, more severe and devastating and more widespread, and this will only get worse if we do not act now.”
Mar 27, 2019
The Senate on Tuesday rejected the Green New Deal, after 43 Democrats voted “present” on the measure introduced by Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Four other Democrats joined all 53 Republican senators in voting against the Green New Deal. Democrats—including the bill’s champion, New York Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez—blasted McConnell’s move as a “stunt vote.”
The Green New Deal seeks to transform the U.S. economy through funding renewable energy while ending U.S. carbon dioxide emissions by 2030. Democratic leaders have resisted backing the deal, which has the support of all 2020 Democratic presidential hopefuls in Congress.