Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- White House Chief of Staff Defends G7 Location [But, then….] Trump Ditches Hosting G7 Summit at his Golf Course October 20, 2019
- ‘I see women being on Mars just as much as men’ October 20, 2019
- Greta Thunberg at Edmonton Canada Vote Green Party October 19, 2019
- Temi Ibirogba on the African migrant crisis to Europe and the Americas October 19, 2019
- Consequential week in impeachment inquiry – The Day That Was | MSNBC October 19, 2019
- MPs back Brexit deal delay – BBC News October 19, 2019
- Trump’s Claim Kurds Are Happy: ‘It’s Simply Absurd, Cruel, It Makes H im Stupid’ | Deadline | MSNBC October 19, 2019
- GOP lawmaker on quid pro quo: It’s serious and troubling October 19, 2019
- John Kasich calls for Trump’s impeachment: I say it with great sadness October 19, 2019
- Nancy Pelosi: Trump had a meltdown in meeting October 19, 2019
- The “Doctrine of Discovery” justified indigenous genocide in 1493. Here’s why it must be retracted. October 19, 2019
- Why Most Americans Want To See “Far Left” Policies? October 18, 2019
- Nili Gilbert on sustainable, long-term investing October 18, 2019
- John Kasich on supporting impeachment and the question Trump voters should ask themselves October 18, 2019
- Have Humans Fucked It All Up? | John Seed a Deep Ecology Perspective October 18, 2019
- Jane Fonda returns to civil disobedience for climate change October 18, 2019
- Greta met by supporters, critics in Alberta October 18, 2019
- XR TV 18 October 2019: Closing Ceremony October 18, 2019
- What on Earth Have We Done? | We Need to Act Now! | Extinction Rebellion October 18, 2019
- How impeachment inquiry and Senate trial could unfold October 17, 2019
- Rachel Maddow On Corruption In the Oil And Gas Industry | All In | MSNBC October 17, 2019
- White House confirms aid to Ukraine contingent on 2016 election probe October 17, 2019
- Retired admiral: America is under attack from Trump October 17, 2019
- China a Rising Destination for Higher Education October 17, 2019
- Rep. Adam Smith On Trump’s Meeting Meltdown: ‘Very Dismissive And Very Insulting’ | All In | MSNBC October 17, 2019
- Trump Has ‘Meltdown’ As Giuliani Faces Criminal Probe | The Beat With Ari Melber | MSNBC October 17, 2019
- The great death of insects | DW Documentary (Ecology documentary) October 17, 2019
- IMF lowers forecasts over trade battles October 17, 2019
- The Honorable Rosa DeLauro – Chubb Fellowship Address – October 2019 October 17, 2019
- Your ketchup might be from NW China’s Xinjiang October 17, 2019
- Trump Admin Proposes Opening Up Tongass National Forest to Logging October 17, 2019
- Homewreckers: How Wall Street, Banks & Trump’s Inner Circle Used the 2008 Housing Cras h to Get Rich October 17, 2019
- BBC News | Clare Farrell | 17.10.2019 | Extinction Rebellion October 17, 2019
- Jay Griffiths, “What we’re doing is utterly utterly necessary and right…” | Extinction Rebellion October 17, 2019
- What Ancient Climate Can Teach Us About Today’s Crisis October 17, 2019
- Black Tudors: Three Untold Stories October 17, 2019
- “Meltdown”: Trump Defends Syria Withdrawal as House Votes 354 to 60 to Condemn His Actions October 17, 2019
- While Angels Weep… Doing Theology on a Small Planet October 17, 2019
- Wilderness and Paradise in Chistian Thought: George H. Williams October 17, 2019
- Greta Thunberg gets mixed reaction upon arrival in Alberta October 16, 2019
- The Evolutionary History of Plants | From Plant To Planet with Nellie Nilsen | BBC Earth October 16, 2019
- Jeff Goodell on American Climate Refugees – the New Joads October 16, 2019
- Motivated Sellers: Disaster Capitalism in the Bahamas, Coming to a Neighborhood near You | Climate Denial Crock of the Week October 16, 2019
- Who bought Ecuador’s president? October 15, 2019
- The New Feudalism October 15, 2019
- Space capitalism: Is asteroid mining and space colonization legal? | Peter Ward October 15, 2019
- How to Save the Natural World: The Problem October 15, 2019
- We need to track the world’s water like we track the weather | Sonaar Luthra October 15, 2019
- Action on Climate Change: The Sustainable Growth Story of the 21st Century October 15, 2019
- “Measuring poverty around the world” – Tony Atkinson October 15, 2019
Daily Archives: March 28, 2019
By Sarah Lazarus, CNN Updated 0550 GMT (1350 HKT) March 27, 2019
(CNN) In 2014, Mark Sabbatini noticed cracks in his apartment walls. Then a mysterious bulge appeared in his bedroom and the apartment block’s communal staircase became crooked. “Doors and windows weren’t shutting properly,” he says.
Sabbatini, the editor of a local newspaper, was living in Longyearbyen, the world’s northernmost town located just 800 miles from the North Pole, which is also the capital of a cluster of Norwegian islands called Svalbard.
A landscape of jagged mountains, fjords and glaciers, Svalbard — which experiences four months of darkness in winter, and four months of daylight in summer — is built on permanently frozen ground called permafrost.
For years, permafrost provided a base as hard as concrete. But now it’s melting — and that’s proving to be a problem.
Sabbatini says his building was damaged because it started sinking into the softening ground.
Inger Hanssen-Bauer, senior researcher at the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and editor of a new report about Svalbard, says the climate in Longyearbyen is probably warming faster than in any other town on Earth. That’s because of accelerated Arctic warming.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Rose to All-Time High in 2018 + U.N. Secretary-General: Cyclone Idai Latest Warning Sign on Climate
Mar 27, 2019
In more climate news, global greenhouse gas emissions rose to an all-time high in 2018, with countries adding over 33 billion tons of heat-trapping carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. An International Energy Agency study found global CO2 levels rose by 1.7 percent last year. U.S. emissions rose by over 3 percent, while Europe and Japan saw slight decreases.
U.N. Secretary-General: Cyclone Idai Latest Warning Sign on Climate
Meanwhile, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said Tuesday that Cyclone Idai is the latest “alarm bell” about the dangers of climate change. The storm killed over 750 people and has left nearly 2 million people in need of assistance in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe.
Secretary-General António Guterres: “Cyclone Idai was an uncommonly fierce and prolonged storm, yet another alarm bell about the dangers of climate change, especially in vulnerable, at-risk countries. Such events are becoming more frequent, more severe and devastating and more widespread, and this will only get worse if we do not act now.”
Mar 27, 2019
The Senate on Tuesday rejected the Green New Deal, after 43 Democrats voted “present” on the measure introduced by Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Four other Democrats joined all 53 Republican senators in voting against the Green New Deal. Democrats—including the bill’s champion, New York Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez—blasted McConnell’s move as a “stunt vote.”
The Green New Deal seeks to transform the U.S. economy through funding renewable energy while ending U.S. carbon dioxide emissions by 2030. Democratic leaders have resisted backing the deal, which has the support of all 2020 Democratic presidential hopefuls in Congress.