Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Narratives for our Times November 22, 2019
- Day 2 closing statement – Dr Elizabeth Kiss November 22, 2019
- The Future of Humanities Education November 22, 2019
- The Scales of Narrative November 22, 2019
- How much of the U.S. military budget can be cut? November 22, 2019
- UK Election 2019: Labour Manifesto Launch – BBC News November 21, 2019
- Hill interjects, “Could I actually say something?” to address partisan divisions November 21, 2019
- A look at Fiona Hill’s most striking impeachment testimony moments November 21, 2019
- Fiona Hill Testifies About Harms Of GOP Conspiracy Theories November 21, 2019
- Trump impeachment hearings: Sondland testifies about quid pro quo November 21, 2019
- Is tourism harming Venice? | DW Documentary November 21, 2019
- How Leonardo da Vinci made a “satellite” map in 1502 November 21, 2019
- Why Gordon Sondland’s public testimony was ‘extraordinary’ November 21, 2019
- Sondland Testifies That ‘Yes,’ There Was A Quid Pro Quo November 21, 2019
- The world is poorly designed. But copying nature helps. November 21, 2019
- How highways wrecked American cities November 21, 2019
- Meet the enormous boats that carry your stuff November 21, 2019
- Thin underwater cables hold the internet. See a map of them all. November 21, 2019
- Where Manhattan’s grid plan came from November 21, 2019
- Why so many suburbs look the same November 21, 2019
- The destruction of the Amazon, explained November 21, 2019
- Under threat: Venice’s need to rescue its future | DW Documentary November 21, 2019
- Trump impeachment hearings: Ambassador Sondland testifies there was a quid pro quo November 20, 2019
- Resilience Rising: From Ebola Crisis Response to Recovery in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone November 20, 2019
- Gordon Sondland : There was a quid pro quo with Ukraine November 20, 2019
- The climate science is clear: it’s now or never to avert catastrophe | Bill McKibben | Opinion | The Guardian November 20, 2019
- FAO, OIE and WHO’s message for World Antibiotic Awareness Week November 20, 2019
- Digital Currency Wars: A National Security Crisis Simulation – YouTube November 19, 2019
- Noura Erakat: U.S. Recognition of Israeli Settlements Is “Entrenchment of an Apartheid Regime ” November 19, 2019
- Bolivian U.N. Ambassador: “Racist Elite” Engineered Coup to Restore Neoliberalism in Bolivia November 19, 2019
- La desecación del Mediterráneo. Origen del Mediterráneo November 19, 2019
- Gibraltar Breach November 19, 2019
- We all can take action now to keep antimicrobials working as they should! November 19, 2019
- How big is the universe … compared with a grain of sand? November 19, 2019
- Sydney air quality among worst in the world as bushfire smoke lingers | Nine News Australia November 19, 2019
- Smoky haze blankets Sydney as bushfires rage – BBC News November 19, 2019
- Homeless Woman Given iPhone for Three Days to Tell Her Story | Home Stream | Real Stories Original November 19, 2019
- NEWSFLASH: XR Global Hunger Strike – London | We Need You Tomorrow | Extinction Rebellion November 18, 2019
- Genetically modified salmon to hit U.S. markets November 18, 2019
- New report: Wealthy hoarding their money! (Full show) November 18, 2019
- World Toilet Day: China’s ‘Toilet Revolution’ November 18, 2019
- U.S. President Donald Trump considers testifying at impeachment hearings November 18, 2019
- Global media executives discuss media opportunities, challenges in new era November 18, 2019
- Making the ‘Emergency’ feel like one | Marc Lopatin | Extinction Rebellion November 18, 2019
- Barry Clifford Whydah Underwater salvage and artifacts November 18, 2019
- The Whydah Gally | Brief History of a Cape Cod Pirate Ship – New England Today November 18, 2019
- Thomas Meaney “Trump’s Very American Foreign Policy” November 18, 2019
- Some Advantages of Joining….The Africa Map Circle | EV & N – #332 | CCTV November 17, 2019
- BRICS nations meet in Brazil to accelerate trade November 17, 2019
- How Much Of An Impact Would It Have On Climate Change If Everyone Stopped Eating Meat? What About November 17, 2019
Daily Archives: March 12, 2019
We Will See Trump’s Tax Returns: David Cay Johnston Predicts Probes Will Uncover President’s Secrets
The Madhouse Effect: How Climate Change Denial Is Threatening Our Planet, Destroying Our Politics, and Driving Us Crazy: Michael Mann, Tom Toles
The award-winning climate scientist Michael E. Mann and the Pulitzer Prize–winning political cartoonist Tom Toles have been on the front lines of the fight against climate denialism for most of their careers. They have witnessed the manipulation of the media by business and political interests and the unconscionable play to partisanship on issues that affect the well-being of billions. The lessons they have learned have been invaluable, inspiring this brilliant, colorful escape hatch from the madhouse of the climate wars.
The Madhouse Effect portrays the intellectual pretzels into which denialists must twist logic to explain away the clear evidence that human activity has changed Earth’s climate. Toles’s cartoons collapse counter-scientific strategies into their biased components, helping readers see how to best strike at these fallacies. Mann’s expert skills at science communication aim to restore sanity to a debate that continues to rage against widely acknowledged scientific consensus. The synergy of these two climate science crusaders enlivens the gloom and doom of so many climate-themed books―and may even convert die-hard doubters to the side of sound science.
For any science or social science course in need of a basic understanding of IPCC reports.
Periodic reports from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) evaluate the risk of climate change brought on by humans. But the sheer volume of scientific data remains inscrutable to the general public, particularly to those who may still question the validity of climate change. In just over 200 pages, this practical text presents and expands upon the essential findings in a visually stunning and undeniably powerful way to the lay reader. Scientific findings that provide validity to the implications of climate change are presented in clear-cut graphic elements, striking images, and understandable analogies.
The Second Edition covers the latest climate change data and scientific consensus from the Fifth Assessment Report and integrates links to media and active learning to capture learning opportunities for students. The text is also available in various eText formats, including an upgrade option from Mastering Geography.
Dr. Michael E. Mann is Distinguished Professor of Atmospheric Science at Penn State University, with joint appointments in the Department of Geosciences and the Earth and Environmental Systems Institute (EESI). He is also director of the Penn State Earth System Science Center (ESSC).
Dr. Mann received his undergraduate degrees in Physics and Applied Math from the University of California at Berkeley, an M.S. degree in Physics from Yale University, and a Ph.D. in Geology & Geophysics from Yale University. His research involves the use of theoretical models and observational data to better understand Earth’s climate system.
Dr. Mann was a Lead Author on the Observed Climate Variability and Change chapter of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Third Scientific Assessment Report in 2001 and was organizing committee chair for the National Academy of Sciences Frontiers of Science in 2003. He has received a number of honors and awards including NOAA’s outstanding publication award in 2002 and selection by Scientific American as one of the fifty leading visionaries in science and technology in 2002. He contributed, with other IPCC authors, to the award of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. He was awarded the Hans Oeschger Medal of the European Geosciences Union in 2012 and was awarded the National Conservation Achievement Award for science by the National Wildlife Federation in 2013. He made Bloomberg News’ list of fifty most influential people in 2013. In 2014, he was named Highly Cited Researcher by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) and received the Friend of the Planet Award from the National Center for Science Education. He received the Stephen H. Schneider Award for Outstanding Climate Science Communication from Climate One in 2017, the Award for Public Engagement with Science from the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2018 and the Climate Communication Prize from the American Geophysical Union in 2018. In 2019 he received the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement. He is a Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, the American Meteorological Society, the Geological Society of America, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. He is also a co-founder of the award-winning science website RealClimate.org.
Dr. Mann is author of more than 200 peer-reviewed and edited publications, numerous op-eds and commentaries, and four books including Dire Predictions: Understanding Climate Change, The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars: Dispatches from the Front Lines, The Madhouse Effect: How Climate Change Denial is Threatening our Planet, Destroying Our Politics, and Driving Us Crazy and The Tantrum that Saved the World.
Published on Jun 19, 2018
This will change how you shop forever. Visit www.bpa-free.me to learn more and take action! In this 3-minute comedic video, a woman shopping in a grocery store becomes increasingly concerned about Bisphenol-A exposure as her surroundings start interacting with her.