Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Uncle Juan Carlos: A Preventable COVID-19 Tragedy • Vote 2020 October 22, 2020
- Highlights of Donald Trump’s Leaked Interview with ’60 Minutes’ | NowThis October 22, 2020
- Top U.S. & World Headlines — October 22, 2020 October 22, 2020
- “A Barrett Confirmation Is a Catastrophe”: What Democrats Can Do to Block Trump’s Supreme Court Pick October 22, 2020
- Introduction to Omeka October 22, 2020
- Omeka and Digital Archives (HASTAC Scholars Digital Collections Webinar with Jim McGrath) October 22, 2020
- Teaching and Researching with Scalar (HASTAC Scholars Webinar) October 22, 2020
- Webinar: Education as if the Earth Mattered October 22, 2020
- Sahel: Fastest Growing Crises! 2 million people displaced October 22, 2020
- Meet the young environmentalists restoring Nairobi’s ‘lungs’ October 22, 2020
- LIVE on Oct. 22 at 9:30 a.m.: Former CIA director John O. Brennan with David Ignatius October 22, 2020
- Angles on Bending Lines: with guest Maggie Owens October 22, 2020
- Teach with Maps : Maury Whale Chart (Episode 1) October 22, 2020
- The political economy of COVID-19: Impacts on agriculture and food policies October 22, 2020
- Global Skills Outlook 2021: Scenarios for a Learning Reset October 22, 2020
- How are immigrants treated in the US? | We Need To Talk October 22, 2020
- Emily Wilson, “Plagues from the Past”: 2020 Mark Strand Memorial Reading at Beinecke Library October 22, 2020
- Rapid diagnostic testing for COVID-19 in Africa October 22, 2020
- Expanding the Supreme Court, Explained | NowThis October 21, 2020
- The Palgrave Handbook of Islam in Africa: Fallou Ngom, Mustapha H. Kurfi, Toyin Falola October 21, 2020
- Burning the Books: A History of the Deliberate Destruction of Knowledge: Ovenden, Richard October 21, 2020
- “After more than a century, the science is clear. The economics is clear.” William D. Nordhaus October 21, 2020
- Experts give briefing on Covid-19 at Union world conference – watch live October 21, 2020
- Upcoming Religion & Ecology Events – October 2020 October 21, 2020
- Tim Bennett Explains: Why the oil price is so volatile October 21, 2020
- Here’s What Drives The Price Of Oil | CNBC October 21, 2020
- Petroleum – modern history of oil October 21, 2020
- U.S. election determined by former felons? October 21, 2020
- As Trump Plummets, Niece Mary Trump Tells Media To Stop Pretending He’s ‘Normal’ | MSNBC October 21, 2020
- Nigeria: security forces in Lagos open fire on protesters fighting against police brutality October 21, 2020
- ‘You can’t have your cake and eat it’: EU council president on Brexit October 21, 2020
- Trump’s Closing Message is Full Authoritarianism | NowThis October 21, 2020
- Tim O’Brien: Trump’s Reported Chinese Bank Account Is A National Security Threat | The Last Word October 21, 2020
- NYT Exposes Trump Chinese Bank Account, Millions In China-Connected Deals While President October 21, 2020
- Trump called CNN ‘bastards’ for covering Covid-19. Hear Keilar’s response October 21, 2020
- Fauci on his media restrictions, Trump contracting COVID, masks, voting and more October 21, 2020
- Trump abruptly ends ’60 Minutes’ solo interview October 21, 2020
- How America could lose its allies | 2020 Election October 21, 2020
- How to Stop Trump from Stealing the Election | Robert Reich October 21, 2020
- The Good Shepherd Official Trailer October 20, 2020
- Novum Organum ‘New Method’: Francis Bacon October 20, 2020
- Sen. Cory Gardner Spreads Climate Conspiracies | NowThis October 20, 2020
- How Two Ex-Green Berets Were Lured Into A Disastrous Failed Coup In Venezuela October 20, 2020
- If you adults won’t save the world, we will | Xiye Bastida October 20, 2020
- Top U.S. & World Headlines — October 20, 2020 October 20, 2020
- “A Fire That Has Spread Across the Country”: Jelani Cobb on Voter Suppression in the 2020 Election October 20, 2020
- “A Blow Against Neoliberalism”: Socialist Wins Bolivia Election a Year After Coup Ousted Evo Morales October 20, 2020
- Equity and Justice in Carbon Removal October 19, 2020
- Joe’s Climate Plan October 19, 2020
- “Totally Under Control”: New documentary explores Trump administration’s COVID-19 failure October 19, 2020
Daily Archives: March 12, 2019
We Will See Trump’s Tax Returns: David Cay Johnston Predicts Probes Will Uncover President’s Secrets
The Madhouse Effect: How Climate Change Denial Is Threatening Our Planet, Destroying Our Politics, and Driving Us Crazy: Michael Mann, Tom Toles
The award-winning climate scientist Michael E. Mann and the Pulitzer Prize–winning political cartoonist Tom Toles have been on the front lines of the fight against climate denialism for most of their careers. They have witnessed the manipulation of the media by business and political interests and the unconscionable play to partisanship on issues that affect the well-being of billions. The lessons they have learned have been invaluable, inspiring this brilliant, colorful escape hatch from the madhouse of the climate wars.
The Madhouse Effect portrays the intellectual pretzels into which denialists must twist logic to explain away the clear evidence that human activity has changed Earth’s climate. Toles’s cartoons collapse counter-scientific strategies into their biased components, helping readers see how to best strike at these fallacies. Mann’s expert skills at science communication aim to restore sanity to a debate that continues to rage against widely acknowledged scientific consensus. The synergy of these two climate science crusaders enlivens the gloom and doom of so many climate-themed books―and may even convert die-hard doubters to the side of sound science.
For any science or social science course in need of a basic understanding of IPCC reports.
Periodic reports from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) evaluate the risk of climate change brought on by humans. But the sheer volume of scientific data remains inscrutable to the general public, particularly to those who may still question the validity of climate change. In just over 200 pages, this practical text presents and expands upon the essential findings in a visually stunning and undeniably powerful way to the lay reader. Scientific findings that provide validity to the implications of climate change are presented in clear-cut graphic elements, striking images, and understandable analogies.
The Second Edition covers the latest climate change data and scientific consensus from the Fifth Assessment Report and integrates links to media and active learning to capture learning opportunities for students. The text is also available in various eText formats, including an upgrade option from Mastering Geography.
Dr. Michael E. Mann is Distinguished Professor of Atmospheric Science at Penn State University, with joint appointments in the Department of Geosciences and the Earth and Environmental Systems Institute (EESI). He is also director of the Penn State Earth System Science Center (ESSC).
Dr. Mann received his undergraduate degrees in Physics and Applied Math from the University of California at Berkeley, an M.S. degree in Physics from Yale University, and a Ph.D. in Geology & Geophysics from Yale University. His research involves the use of theoretical models and observational data to better understand Earth’s climate system.
Dr. Mann was a Lead Author on the Observed Climate Variability and Change chapter of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Third Scientific Assessment Report in 2001 and was organizing committee chair for the National Academy of Sciences Frontiers of Science in 2003. He has received a number of honors and awards including NOAA’s outstanding publication award in 2002 and selection by Scientific American as one of the fifty leading visionaries in science and technology in 2002. He contributed, with other IPCC authors, to the award of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. He was awarded the Hans Oeschger Medal of the European Geosciences Union in 2012 and was awarded the National Conservation Achievement Award for science by the National Wildlife Federation in 2013. He made Bloomberg News’ list of fifty most influential people in 2013. In 2014, he was named Highly Cited Researcher by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) and received the Friend of the Planet Award from the National Center for Science Education. He received the Stephen H. Schneider Award for Outstanding Climate Science Communication from Climate One in 2017, the Award for Public Engagement with Science from the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2018 and the Climate Communication Prize from the American Geophysical Union in 2018. In 2019 he received the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement. He is a Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, the American Meteorological Society, the Geological Society of America, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. He is also a co-founder of the award-winning science website RealClimate.org.
Dr. Mann is author of more than 200 peer-reviewed and edited publications, numerous op-eds and commentaries, and four books including Dire Predictions: Understanding Climate Change, The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars: Dispatches from the Front Lines, The Madhouse Effect: How Climate Change Denial is Threatening our Planet, Destroying Our Politics, and Driving Us Crazy and The Tantrum that Saved the World.
Published on Jun 19, 2018
This will change how you shop forever. Visit www.bpa-free.me to learn more and take action! In this 3-minute comedic video, a woman shopping in a grocery store becomes increasingly concerned about Bisphenol-A exposure as her surroundings start interacting with her.