Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- The Irish Slaves: Slavery, indenture and Contract labor Among Irish Immigrants: Rhetta Akamatsu September 23, 2020
- Against the Grain: A Deep History of the Earliest States: James C. Scott September 23, 2020
- Njinga of Angola: Africa’s Warrior Queen: Linda M. Heywood September 23, 2020
- A Fistful of Shells: West Africa from the Rise of the Slave Trade to the Age of Revolution: Toby Green September 23, 2020
- Innovation Conversations | University of Oxford September 23, 2020
- Innovation Conversations: Written in Stone with Professor Jonathan Prag September 23, 2020
- Caribbean New Orleans: Empire, Race, and the Making of a Slave Society (Pub lished by the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the Universi ty of North Carolina Press): Cécile Vidal September 22, 2020
- A History of West Central Africa to 1850 (New Approaches to African History): John K. Thornton September 22, 2020
- Will They Turn New Mexico Into Nuclear Waste Dump? (w/ Kevin Kamps) September 22, 2020
- Has The Media Learned Nothing from 2016? September 22, 2020
- New Frontline Documentary ‘The Choice 2020’ Looks At The Lives Of Donald Trump & Joe Biden September 22, 2020
- Top U.S. & World Headlines — September 21, 2020 September 21, 2020
- “A National Tragedy”: Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Friend & “Favorite Client” Remembers the Legal Icon September 21, 2020
- “RBG”: Film Director Reflects on Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Lifelong Fight for Gender Equity September 21, 2020
- Remembering RBG: Legal Giant’s Death Sparks Furious Fight in D.C. over Vacant Supreme Court Seat September 21, 2020
- Watch the US stall on climate change for 12 years September 21, 2020
- How America can leave fossil fuels behind, in one chart September 21, 2020
- Millions across the UK under tougher local lockdown restrictions | ITV News September 21, 2020
- UK chief scientists warn of 50,000 new infections every day without tougher restrictions – BBC News September 21, 2020
- Mary Evelyn Tucker and John Grim introduce ‘Thomas Berry, a Biography’ September 21, 2020
- NASA Sees High Temperatures, Wildfires, Sea Ice Minimum Extent in Warming Arctic September 21, 2020
- Dr. Mary Evelyn Tucker: ecology & religion September 21, 2020
- FORE Spotlights Series ~ Mary Evelyn Tucker & John Grim, 9.21.2020 September 21, 2020
- Noam Chomsky: The World Is at the Most Dangerous Moment in Human History September 21, 2020
- Lost Worlds: Braveheart’s Scotland and William Wallace (S1, E11) | Full Episode | History September 21, 2020
- Kiley Fellow Lecture: Seth Denizen, “Thinking Through Soil: Case Study from the Mezq uital Valley” September 21, 2020
- Snowden Reacts To Trump’s Remarks About A Potential Pardon | The 11th Hour | MSNBC September 21, 2020
- Bob Woodward Induced A Confession Of The Greatest Lie In American History Says Steve Schmidt | MSNBC September 21, 2020
- Fmr. CIA Director Brennan: ‘I Am More Worried Today Than I Ever Have Been Before’ | Deadline | MSNBC September 21, 2020
- Trump Accused Of Allegedly Eroding Trust In U.S. Institutions | MSNBC September 21, 2020
- Putin, the poisoning and Belarus: what’s really going on? | The Economist September 21, 2020
- Fleeing climate change — the real environmental disaster | DW Documentary September 21, 2020
- What is the Fourth Industrial Revolution? | CNBC Explains September 21, 2020
- What is the Fourth Industrial Revolution? September 21, 2020
- Whitty and Vallance to present data showing ‘trend in UK heading in wrong direction’ September 21, 2020
- (388) RBG – YouTube September 21, 2020
- Where to Invade Next September 21, 2020
- Requiem for the American Dream September 21, 2020
- Every Day, Trump and His Goons Chip Away at Our Democracy September 21, 2020
- Global Opening Moment September 21, 2020
- Capitalism will eat democracy — unless we speak up | Yanis Varoufakis September 21, 2020
- “The Social Dilemma:” Lies Spread 6x Faster Than Truth on Social Media | Amanpour and Company September 21, 2020
- Sen. Graham Flip-Flops On Filling SCOTUS Vacancy | Morning Joe | MSNBC September 21, 2020
- COVID’s Wake-up Call: Are Western Governments Failing Their People? | Amanpour and Company September 21, 2020
- Noam Chomsky – The Crimes of U.S. Presidents September 21, 2020
- Noam Chomsky on the new Trump era | UpFront special September 21, 2020
- Harvard Law School Professor Jody Freeman on the Green New Deal September 21, 2020
- Apocalyptic Images from the West Coast Wildfires | Amanpour and Company September 20, 2020
- As Fires Rage Across the West, Trump Bails Out Big Oil & Picks Climate Denier for Top Role at NOAA September 20, 2020
- Ignorance, Arrogance, Overshoot & Collapse: The Destructive Power of Enduing Myths In Collapsing Civilizations | EV & N 360 | CCTV September 20, 2020
Daily Archives: November 4, 2018
Published on Oct 31, 2018
Official Website: https://to.pbs.org/2SaGGk3 | #SinkingCitiesPBS See how engineers and planners are trying to protect Miami from rising seas and ever-more-frequent and violent storm surges that could destroy the city’s tourist and business economy. Sinking Cities: Miami premieres November 21 at 10/9c.
Lagos, coastal cities threatened by forecast rise in sea level — Nigeria — The Guardian Nigeria Newspaper – Nigeria and World News
The Nigerian Conservation Foundation (NCF) says that Lagos and other coastal cities globally that are less than one meter above sea level could be submerged by 2050 if the seal level continues its rise.
“The projection by scientists in the United Nations (UN) who are the authority in climate change effects, after extensive studies say there is the likelihood of the world’s ocean rising by 1 meter by between 2030 and 2050.
“Hence, any city less than one meter above sea level is under threat and Lagos is part of the many others,’’ Dr Muhtari Aminu-Kanu, Director-General of NCF, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.
Aminu-Kano told NAN that part of the reasons for the ocean encroachments and beach erosions was as a result of the activities around the coastlines.
The director-general said it was not peculiar to Lagos alone but other coastal cities globally would have the same effects of the changes in climate.
“It is a danger caused by climate change and we have got to take it seriously and apply steady and serious measures beyond infrastructure projects to deal with it.
“Sea level rise is another looming danger that could come to threaten the existence of Lagos if we do not treat it with seriousness.
“This is not a problem for Lagos alone to carry, it is a national problem that should involve the Federal Government,’’ he said.
Beware! Dangerously rising sea level could submerge Mumbai in 100 years | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
The city could lose 25.32 sq km — roughly 1,700 Wankhede stadiums (0.0148 sq km) — of its urban sprawl to coastal inundation caused by a 1m sea level rise over the next 100 years, according to a study.
The author also said the protection of mangroves play a significant role in protecting the city.
The ‘Impacts of predicted sea level rise on land use/land cover categories of coastal areas of Mumbai megacity’ study by a research scholar from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) identified urban areas including housing societies, commercial complexes, roads, infrastructure such as flyovers, bridges etc., ports, slum settlements and few open spaces, that could be affected by coastal inundation.
What makes this is a possibility, according to Malay Kumar Pramanik, author of the paper and PhD scholar, JNU, is that the current annual sea level rise is between 2.5 and 3 millimetres (mm).