Political leaders have failed their citizens in virtually countries across the world in the face of humanity’s most pressing crisis. Now citizens and scientists are beginning to build new civic alliances to make plans for the transitions that will be necessary for the survival of coastal cities in a climate changed world.
The scientists have been very clear and explicit about what lies in store for the human community as nothing is accomplished in limiting greenhouse gas emissions. Shortly after the collapse of the Copenhagen climate talks talks in 2009, Dr. James Hansen made this very clear in a talk to the Cambridge Forum in February 2010:
After the Paris “Climate Accord” he similarly emphasized that the agreement fell far short of what is needed, and that even if it were adhered to this agreement would not be sufficient to save coastal cities.
- Senate Confirms Former BP Oil Defender as Top Environmental Lawyer
- U.S. Death Toll from Hurricane Michael at 19 as Dozens Remain Missing + Trump Doubles Down on Climate Change Denial on “60 Minutes”
- Tens of Thousands March in Europe Demanding Action on Climate
- Humanity’s March for Sanity and Survival: “The People’s Climate March” – 29 April 2017
For James Hansen’s recent work see:
- Global Warming Acceleration Plus Miscellaneous
+ Climate Science, Awareness and Solutions Program
- James Hansen: Why I must speak out about climate change
- James Hansen’s 1988 testimony after 30 years. How did he do?
- Links to material from or about Dr. James Hansen
- Institutions and their Leaders in times of Catabolic Collapse |EV & N – 145 | CCTV
- “The Cascading Collapse of American Leadership in World Affairs: The Aftermath of Trump’s Withdrawal from the Paris Global Climate Accord”
Taking Dr. Hansen’s climate statements seriously has been the focus of citizen’s groups around the world including groups like 350.org with the work of Bill McKibben and civic organizations concerned about the future survival of coastal cities. See:
- Soils, Agriculture, Carbon Sequestration and Human Survival
- Hominid Exceptionalism and the Intrinsic Limit of Human Power in Earth’s Ecosystem
- Setting the Record Straight: The Depth, Severity and History of the Scientific Evidence on Earth’s Unfolding Climate Catastrophe
* * *