Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- US drinking water contamination with ‘forever chemicals’ far worse than scientists tho ught | Environment | The Guardian January 23, 2020
- Jeffrey Sachs Endorses Bernie Sanders for President January 23, 2020
- Climate Activists Sound Alarm on Mediterranean Natural Gas Pipelines January 23, 2020
- Spain Declares Climate Emergency & Readies Climate Legislation + Australian Wildfires Release Massive Amounts of Greenhouse Gas January 23, 2020
- Davos 2020: Prince Charles meets Greta Thunberg – BBC News January 23, 2020
- How can we combat the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan? January 22, 2020
- Historical Atlas of Africa: A. J. F. Ajayi, Michael Crowder January 22, 2020
- Writing African History (Rochester Studies in African History and the Diaspora) January 22, 2020
- The History Atlas of Africa : From the First Humans to the Emergence of a New South Africa (History Atlas Series): Samuel Kasule January 22, 2020
- The New Atlas of African History: G. S. P. Freeman-Grenville January 22, 2020
- BBC World Service – Newshour, Wuhan: Virus-hit Chinese city to shut public transport January 22, 2020
- Do Morals Matter? | Behind The Book featuring Joseph Nye January 22, 2020
- ‘Loose with the truth’: Chuck Schumer on the gravity of Donald Trump’s alleged offences January 22, 2020
- ‘The time to act is now’: Prince Charles calls for green taxes to fight climate emergency January 22, 2020
- The Heat: World Economic Forum January 22, 2020
- BBC World Service – Witness History, Silent Spring: A book that changed the world January 22, 2020
- Has Reaganomics Turned America Into a “Sh*thole” Country? January 22, 2020
- Solution To Climate Change Is To Make It Profitable, Says Private Equity Investor | Davos 2020 January 22, 2020
- China declares a ‘war’ on plastic pollution January 22, 2020
- Appeals Court Dismisses Landmark Youth Climate Lawsuit Against U.S. Government January 21, 2020
- Trump and Greta Thunberg Address Elites at Davos as Oxfam Condemns Mounting Inequality January 21, 2020
- Voting Rights Advocate: The Impeachment of Trump Is Needed to Protect Our Elections & Democracy January 21, 2020
- A Show Trial? As Trump Impeachment Trial Begins, Mitch McConnell Accused of Staging a Cover-Up January 21, 2020
- How McConnell’s “rigged” impeachment trial rules keep the public in the dark January 21, 2020
- Greta Thunberg Addresses Global Elite at Davos: Our House Is Still on Fire January 21, 2020
- David Suzuki on the climate change existential threat January 21, 2020
- Only Greta Gets it Right (climate) – World Economic Forum, Jan 2020 January 21, 2020
- Adam Schiff Annihilates Trump Lawyer’s Impeachment Trial Metaphor January 21, 2020
- Greta Thunberg Shames Economic Elite At Davos January 21, 2020
- Defining Lines: Cartography in the Age of Empire at the Nasher January 21, 2020
- ‘What will you tell your children?’: Greta Thunberg blasts climate inaction at Davos January 21, 2020
- Trump blasts impeachment trial upon arrival at Davos Economic Forum January 21, 2020
- Davos: Greta Thunberg makes opening remarks at session on averting ‘climate apocalypse’ January 21, 2020
- Oxford Martin School – Events January 21, 2020
- Greta Thunberg speaks at the World Economic Forum | LIVE January 21, 2020
- Dylan Thomas, 1952: A Child’s Christmas in Wales, A Story – Recorded at Steinway Hall, NY January 21, 2020
- New evidence against Trump may not be part of Senate trial January 21, 2020
- Putin moves to keep power indefinitely January 21, 2020
- China confirms human-to-human transmission of new coronavirus January 21, 2020
- Oxfam warns of widening gap between rich and poor January 20, 2020
- Andrea Bernstein, “American Oligarch” January 20, 2020
- ‘This is not inevitable’, says Oxfam about rising global inequality January 20, 2020
- Dust storm barrels across regional NSW | Nine News Australia January 20, 2020
- Massive dust storm engulfs New South Wales in Australia January 20, 2020
- Bipartisan NAFTA 2.0 Is Still Fatally Flawed January 20, 2020
- SPECIAL: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in His Own Words January 20, 2020
- Davos 2020 – Press Conference: IMF World Economic Outlook Update January 20, 2020
- Climate Change, Migration and Environmental Refugees January 20, 2020
- Climate refugees fleeing drought were part of the migrant caravan from Central America January 20, 2020
- Michael Mann – Future Australians may become ‘climate refugees’ | TheHill January 20, 2020
Daily Archives: December 7, 2017
The former grocery store in the village of Carrollton, Ohio, looks like your typical creepy abandoned building. It’s dark inside. It’s boarded up with moldy wood.
Last January, residents of Carrollton — population 3,135 — showed up to find the doors locked and a sign attached that read, simply, “store closed.” It was the only dedicated grocery store in a county of nearly 28,000 people.
Carrollton is located in eastern Ohio’s Carroll County, about a 40-minute drive from Canton. Tait Carter, the county’s economic development director, peered through the doors of the 30,000 square foot building. She said the place shut down abruptly.
“The electric company came in and shut the electric off, and all of the food was still left in all the coolers,” Carter said. “I don’t even want to imagine what it smelled like in there.”
This store was owned by Thorne’s Market, a local grocery chain founded in 1972. The company closed its four stores in January and disconnected its phone. The owners haven’t given a reason.
“I think they’d been struggling for a while,” Carter said.
Even before Thorne’s closed, Carroll County was a food desert. In rural places, that’s a low-income area where at least 500 people or one-third of the population live more than 10 miles from the nearest supermarket or large grocery store. About 4.5 million Americans live in rural food deserts, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
“In the Mississippi Delta, in rural Kansas, in upstate New York — in every rural community across the country, you’re hearing about a food-access challenge,” said Julia Koprak, a senior associate at a nonprofit called The Food Trust.
With winds expected at 80 mph, the director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection raised the fire threat level to purple — a critical level never used by the state before.
John Sepulvado (@JohnLGC) of KQED is in Ojai, California, and joins Here & Now‘s Jeremy Hobson with the latest.
This segment aired on December 7, 2017.
VSUOfficialChannelPublished on Mar 4, 2015
Across Virginia – from Hampton to Richmond, Petersburg to Lynchburg to Wise County and all points in between – approximately 17.8 percent of Virginia’s population live in food desert. This documentary was produced by VSU as part of a study on food insecurity in the College of Agriculture. Produced by Jesse Vaughan & Cedric Owens – Co-Producer Dr. Jewel Hairston – Narrator Daphne Maxwell Reid