Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Colin Powell Was a Nice Man Who Helped Destroy Iraq October 24, 2021
- Defending Earth against asteroid impacts – NASA scientist explains October 24, 2021
- Max Boot: “Extremists” are in Control of the Republican Party | Amanpour and Company October 24, 2021
- Trump’s Showdown (full documentary) | FRONTLINE October 24, 2021
- Climate Change Cost Tax Payers $100+ Billion, Warns Katie Porter October 23, 2021
- David Attenborough Breaking Boundaries-of Earth (excerpts) October 23, 2021
- The Overview Effect & Humanity’s Future October 23, 2021
- Spanning Oceans – Bridging Traditions: The Global Humanities & “The Overview Effect” on a Small Planet October 23, 2021
- The CIA and Returning to Vietnam After the War: John Stockwell (1985) October 22, 2021
- Production Gap Report 2021 October 21, 2021
- The Tombs of Mount Vernon October 21, 2021
- Climate change and health: developing evidence for action October 21, 2021
- George Washington and the Age of Discovery October 21, 2021
- Decarbonization in a new geopolitical landscape – the EU, US and China October 21, 2021
- Production Gap Report 2021 October 21, 2021
- Reading Room – Library Collections October 21, 2021
- Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial A Photographic Tour October 21, 2021
- Camembert culture: Dipping into the world of France’s most iconic cheese • FRANCE 24 Engl ish October 21, 2021
- Edge of Extinction: Collapse of Everything? October 21, 2021
- Indigenous Knowledge: the wisdom of deep listening | RSA Event October 21, 2021
- Another Criminal Investigation Reportedly Looking At Trump Golf Course Tax Scheme October 21, 2021
- Afghanistan talks: Russia, China, Iran to work with Taliban towards ‘regional stability’ October 21, 2021
- “Dire Crisis of Poverty”: NYC Taxi Drivers Launch Hunger Strike to Demand Relief from Medall ion Debt October 21, 2021
- 10,000 Striking John Deere Workers Demand “Equitable” Pay & Benefits as Company Sees Record Profits October 21, 2021
- Striketober: Labor Militancy Grows, U.S. Workers Walk Off the Job & IATSE Members Get Tentative Deal October 21, 2021
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme – Odisha October 20, 2021
- Climate Bridge Fund October 20, 2021
- Rep. Schiff: GOP Colleagues “Accountable for Destruction of Democracy” | Amanpour and Compan y October 20, 2021
- Biden: $90 billion In Loss Caused By Natural Disasters October 20, 2021
- How Business Lobbies Pushed Republicans to the Right October 20, 2021
- Brazil’s President “should be charged with crimes against humanity” over Covid death s – BBC News – YouTube October 20, 2021
- BBC World Service – Newshour, Covid: Brazil’s Bolsonaro ‘should be charged with crimes against humanity’ October 20, 2021
- How Democracy Dies | Democracy Maybe October 20, 2021
- MAGA Leader Steve Bannon Faces Jail Again — With No Pardon This Time October 20, 2021
- Capitol Riot Defendant Expresses Regret In An FBI Interview October 20, 2021
- The Oligarch Raided By FBI And How Mitch McConnell Got The ‘Moscow Mitch’ Nickname October 20, 2021
- ‘What Were We Thinking’ Digs Into The Books Of The Trump Era October 20, 2021
- Liz Cheney: Trump And Bannon Were Involved In Planning 1/6 October 20, 2021
- USS Connecticut Submarine Collision in The South China Sea October 20, 2021
- Difference Frames the World October 20, 2021
- China: Long-industrialized countries should take climate action lead – CGTN October 20, 2021
- How does Facebook ‘force’ political parties to go extreme? – CGTN October 20, 2021
- Why Should China Worry About Bio-Chemical Wars? October 20, 2021
- Glenn Greenwald: “Edward Snowden and the Secrets of the National Security State” October 20, 2021
- New Releases | October 2021 | Very Short Introductions October 20, 2021
- Do you get it now? Why scientific reality doesn’t care about your politics October 20, 2021
- “Demographic Destiny” Is a Total Farce October 20, 2021
- How Capitalism Absorbs Anticapitalism October 20, 2021
- Capitalism (Not COVID) Broke the Supply Chain October 20, 2021
- “Missing in Brooks County”: Thousands of Migrants Denied Due Process at Border Have Died in Desert October 20, 2021
Daily Archives: December 7, 2017
The former grocery store in the village of Carrollton, Ohio, looks like your typical creepy abandoned building. It’s dark inside. It’s boarded up with moldy wood.
Last January, residents of Carrollton — population 3,135 — showed up to find the doors locked and a sign attached that read, simply, “store closed.” It was the only dedicated grocery store in a county of nearly 28,000 people.
Carrollton is located in eastern Ohio’s Carroll County, about a 40-minute drive from Canton. Tait Carter, the county’s economic development director, peered through the doors of the 30,000 square foot building. She said the place shut down abruptly.
“The electric company came in and shut the electric off, and all of the food was still left in all the coolers,” Carter said. “I don’t even want to imagine what it smelled like in there.”
This store was owned by Thorne’s Market, a local grocery chain founded in 1972. The company closed its four stores in January and disconnected its phone. The owners haven’t given a reason.
“I think they’d been struggling for a while,” Carter said.
Even before Thorne’s closed, Carroll County was a food desert. In rural places, that’s a low-income area where at least 500 people or one-third of the population live more than 10 miles from the nearest supermarket or large grocery store. About 4.5 million Americans live in rural food deserts, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
“In the Mississippi Delta, in rural Kansas, in upstate New York — in every rural community across the country, you’re hearing about a food-access challenge,” said Julia Koprak, a senior associate at a nonprofit called The Food Trust.
With winds expected at 80 mph, the director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection raised the fire threat level to purple — a critical level never used by the state before.
John Sepulvado (@JohnLGC) of KQED is in Ojai, California, and joins Here & Now‘s Jeremy Hobson with the latest.
This segment aired on December 7, 2017.
VSUOfficialChannelPublished on Mar 4, 2015
Across Virginia – from Hampton to Richmond, Petersburg to Lynchburg to Wise County and all points in between – approximately 17.8 percent of Virginia’s population live in food desert. This documentary was produced by VSU as part of a study on food insecurity in the College of Agriculture. Produced by Jesse Vaughan & Cedric Owens – Co-Producer Dr. Jewel Hairston – Narrator Daphne Maxwell Reid
The average age of farmers globally is thought to be around 60, and rising. So where have all the young farmers gone and who is going to farm our food in the future? It’s an issue that could affect every single one us and the food we eat.
Emily Thomas meets families in Kenya, the UK and the Netherlands to find out how farmer’s sons and daughters really feel about taking over the family business. How much of a role do economics, regulations, lifestyle and public perceptions play in driving them from agriculture?
This is the first of two episodes to explore why so many young people across the globe are turning away from farming, and what can be done to tempt them back.
(Photo: Young woman standing in an empty ploughed field. Credit: Getty Images)
Published on Dec 6, 2017
While Arab and Muslim leaders are warning of disaster, Israeli leaders are hailing President Trump’s major policy shift on Israel. In a long anticipated move, the president officially recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and announced his intent to move the embassy from Tel Aviv, drawing condemnation from world leaders. John Yang reports.
The Real Truth About Health
Published on Dec 6, 2017
There are many solutions to fixing our planet before the damage goes to far. Today’s panel discusses various tipping points on global crisis, climate change, and what we can do about it. Panel Participants: Dr. Richard A. Oppenlander, J. Morris Hicks, Tony Weis, Dawn Moncrief, Gene Baur, David Kirby