Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- A History Lesson On Lynching | Velshi & Ruhle | MSNBC October 22, 2019
- US media ignores Putin’s Syria deal October 22, 2019
- World’s most advanced cotton-picker in Xinjiang October 22, 2019
- Zero Tolerance (full film) | FRONTLINE October 22, 2019
- Ready to Use | Video | Roundup Weedkiller October 22, 2019
- Roundup commercial 2013 October 22, 2019
- You and the planet: State of the Earth – YouTube October 22, 2019
- U.S. Troops Are Leaving Syria, Here’s What It Looks Like | NYT News October 22, 2019
- Russian Helicopters Land at Reopened Syrian Airbase October 22, 2019
- Putin and Erdogan hold joint press conference in Sochi October 22, 2019
- What Can Be Saved? Dams threaten wild river October 22, 2019
- Noam Chomsky on the new Trump era | UpFront special October 22, 2019
- Has Pesticide Use Contributed to the Decrease in Insect Numbers? October 22, 2019
- What happened this week in Trump’s impeachment saga? – BBC News October 22, 2019
- Harvard University Presidential Inauguration of Lawrence S. Bacow | October 5, 2018 – Professors Diana Eck & Daniel Schrag October 22, 2019
- Morning Exercises | Harvard Commencement 2019 – Professors Diana Eck & Daniel Schrag October 22, 2019
- Make the World Greta Again (Full Documentary) October 22, 2019
- Greta Thunberg Rips World Leaders at the U.N. Over Climate Change October 22, 2019
- Jason Kenney dismisses Greta Thunberg supporters October 22, 2019
- Greta Thunberg speaks at Edmonton climate action rally October 22, 2019
- CLIMATE. THE FUTURE IS NOW October 22, 2019
- ExxonMobil Goes on Trial in New York over Climate Change October 22, 2019
- Collaboration for Climate Action October 22, 2019
- ExxonMobil On Trial Over Business Impact Of Climate Change | On Point October 22, 2019
- Conversations with Professor Jim McCarthy – Harvard University October 22, 2019
- The Peril and Promise of Solar Geoengineering | David Keith | Harvard Museum of Natural History October 22, 2019
- Episode 1 Preview: Moving Planet | Life From Above | PBS October 21, 2019
- Sanders scores Ocasio-Cortez endorsement as centrist candidates make post-debate gains October 21, 2019
- Bernie’s Back: AOC Backs Sanders as 26,000 Rally in NYC at Largest Presidential Rally of 2019 October 21, 2019
- Can Geo-Engineering Fix Earth’s Climate? | Full Report | Retro Report on PBS October 21, 2019
- Breaking: economic protests erupt in developed nations (Full show) October 21, 2019
- Zero Tolerance (full film) | FRONTLINE October 21, 2019
- How to create a 3D Terrain with Google Maps and height maps in Photoshop – 3D Map Generator Terrain October 21, 2019
- Books About Maps | Information About Map Collecting October 21, 2019
- “We have three demands. #1 Tell the Truth, #2 Act Now, #3 Beyond Politics” – Extinction Rebellion October 21, 2019
- ‘Trump betrayed us’: Fleeing Kurds condemn U.S. decision to leave Syria October 21, 2019
- Why should you always assume you’re wrong? Science October 21, 2019
- Angry Syrian Kurds pelt US convoy with potatoes October 21, 2019
- Arresting Destruction – George Monbiot October 21, 2019
- George Monbiot arrested for defying Extinction Rebellion protest ban October 21, 2019
- ‘Unpresidented’: Fake edition of Washington Post claims Trump resigned October 21, 2019
- ‘We chose the dumb way’: Former national security leaders slam Trump’s Syria withdrawal October 21, 2019
- CHANGE IS COMING | Extinction Rebellion vs The Sixth Mass Extinction October 21, 2019
- Your Political Alternatives: John Pitkin – Candidate for Cambridge City Council | EV & N #328 | CCTV October 20, 2019
- White House Chief of Staff Defends G7 Location [But, then….] Trump Ditches Hosting G7 Summit at his Golf Course October 20, 2019
- ‘I see women being on Mars just as much as men’ October 20, 2019
- Greta Thunberg at Edmonton Canada Vote Green Party October 19, 2019
- Temi Ibirogba on the African migrant crisis to Europe and the Americas October 19, 2019
- Consequential week in impeachment inquiry – The Day That Was | MSNBC October 19, 2019
- MPs back Brexit deal delay – BBC News October 19, 2019
Daily Archives: November 8, 2017
By Rebecca Morelle Science Correspondent, BBC News
- 24 October 2017
An artefact excavated from a shipwreck off the coast of Oman has been found to be the oldest known example of a type of navigational tool.
Marine archaeologists say the object is an astrolabe, an instrument once used by mariners to measure the altitude of the Sun during their voyages.
It is believed to date from between 1495 and 1500.
The item was recovered from a Portuguese explorer which sank during a storm in the Indian Ocean in 1503.
The boat was called the Esmeralda and was part of a fleet led by Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama, the first person to sail directly from Europe to India.
David Mearns, from Blue Water Recovery, who led the excavation and is the author of The Shipwreck Hunter, told the BBC: “It’s a great privilege to find something so rare, something so historically important, something that will be studied by the archaeological community and fills in a gap.”
The astrolabe was discovered by Mr Mearns in 2014, and was one of nearly 3,000 artefacts recovered during a series of dives.
The bronze disc measures 17.5cm in diameter and is less than 2mm thick.
“It was like nothing else we had seen and I immediately knew it was something very important because you could see it had these two emblems on it,” said Mr Mearns.