Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Why does the US have 800 military bases around the world? August 21, 2019
- Brazil Fires: Sao Paulo Goes Dark as Smoke from Amazon Fires Blankets City August 21, 2019
- Jair Bolsonaro’s provocative views in six clips August 21, 2019
- Hong Kong protesters clash with police at subway station August 21, 2019
- Jair Bolsonaro claims NGOs may be setting Amazon rainforest on fire August 21, 2019
- China’s Race to the Top: A History of Economic Growth August 21, 2019
- Portland Rejects Proud Boys & Other Ultra-Right Groups as Trump Tries to Criminalize Antifa August 21, 2019
- Averting Crisis: American strategy, military spending and collective defence in the Indo-Pacific — United States Studies Centre August 21, 2019
- Neocon anti-China report exposed by RT (Full show) August 21, 2019
- “If we don’t work together, we are going to die together” – Roger Hallam | Extinction Rebellion August 21, 2019
- Chandrayaan-2: India spacecraft begins orbiting Moon – BBC News August 21, 2019
- Nasa confirms ocean moon mission – BBC News August 21, 2019
- Fracking: UK shale reserves may be smaller than previously estimated – BBC News August 21, 2019
- Hong Kong Protests Continue | Plugged In with Greta Van Susteren August 21, 2019
- How China Is Framing the Hong Kong Protests | NYT News August 21, 2019
- Amazon Wildfires Spark Fears of Environmental Disaster as São Paulo Goes Dark fr om Smoke August 21, 2019
- The 1619 Project: A Nation Born in Contradiction, a Democracy Defined by Black Struggle August 21, 2019
- Western media suspicious as Russian nuclear monitoring sites go silent August 21, 2019
- Leading from the front: financing urgent ambition August 21, 2019
- India floods: Monsoon rains destroy homes and farms August 21, 2019
- Are we heading for a global recession? – BBC Newsnight August 21, 2019
- Leading from the front: responding with urgency to the climate emergency August 21, 2019
- Live: NASA spacewalkers install new docking port NASA宇航员太空行走装适配器 August 21, 2019
- Trump cancels Denmark visit over Greenland sale spat August 20, 2019
- Amazon fires: Brazilian rainforest burning at record rate, space agency warns – BBC News August 20, 2019
- Corporations pledge to prioritize employees and environment – Marketplace August 20, 2019
- The new battle for North Pole supremacy – VPRO documentary August 20, 2019
- The battle against climate change by Paul Kingsnorth – Documentary August 20, 2019
- Paul Kingsnorth Interview with North Central Texas College August 20, 2019
- Paul Kingsnorth – King Of The Moment August 20, 2019
- Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist and Other Essays: Paul Kingsnorth August 20, 2019
- Are the New Fascist Environmentally Friendly? August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – The Compass, Ground Shift: The Farming Revolution, Ground Shift: Sustainability and the millenial farmers August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – The Compass, Ground Shift: The Farming Revolution, Ground Shift : Scale and modern farming models August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – The Compass, Ground Shift: The Farming Revolution, Ground Shift: Digital technology and rural communities August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – The Compass, Ground Shift: The Farming Revolution, Ground Shift: Survival for millennial farmers August 20, 2019
- The New UN Climate Report: We’re Screwed August 20, 2019
- Paul Kingsnorth, “Confessions Of Recovering Environmentalist”, “Beast” – YouTube August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – The Inquiry, Can you reduce Central American migration? August 20, 2019
- Reps. Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar Respond to Israel Travel Ban August 20, 2019
- Twitter & Facebook Remove China-Linked Accounts over Hong Kong Protest Misinformation August 20, 2019
- Fears of Renewed Arms Race as U.S. Tests Ground Missile and Questions Remain over Russian Nuclear Accident Blast August 20, 2019
- Sixth Meeting of the National Space Council August 20, 2019
- Are black Americans the true “founding fathers’? August 20, 2019
- Researchers study Greenland’s shrinking glaciers August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – Science in Action, Analysing the European heatwave August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – Science in Action, Is climate change driving Europe’s current heatwave? August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – Science in Action, South Asia heatwave and climate change August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – Science in Action, Keeping tabs on nuclear weapons August 20, 2019
- BBC World Service – Science in Action, The snowball effect of Arctic fires August 20, 2019
Daily Archives: February 24, 2017
Climate Ready Boston Released
December 8, 2016
Today marks the release of Climate Ready Boston, a bold initiative that examines the possible impacts of climate change to the city over the next century. You can download the complete report here, or read on for a high-level overview below.
What is Climate Ready Boston?
It’s a roadmap for Boston to be better prepared for coastal, riverine, and stormwater flooding and impacts of heat. The report identifies vulnerabilities, analyzes, and quantifies projected annualized losses, and outlines opportunities to mitigate impacts. In addition to protecting against future flooding and other impacts, resiliency planning works towards opportunities to make Boston an increasingly livable city. Climate Ready Boston offers approaches to preparing the city for uncertain future events, improving the city’s vibrancy, and spurring responsible economic development. Boston’s work in this topic area has very real implications for the future of the city, but also sets an example for resilience planning and investment that leads the region and the nation.
What was the impetus for this initiative?
Climate Ready Boston builds on years of research and discussion on sea level rise in the city. A series of related studies were conducted by a mixture of civic, non-profit, and for-profit entities, including: the City of Boston, Boston Harbor Now, Sasaki, and the Green Ribbon Commission. This precedent work culminated in the City of Boston successfully applying for a Department of Coastal Zone Management grant to complete a detailed vulnerability assessment.
The destabilization of natural systems and the cascading damage of human systems have profound implications for security, prosperity, and justice in this century that compel us to innovate and to act. This crisis also offers a historic opportunity and obligation to employ our ingenuity to discover solutions that lie on the boundaries where disciplines blur.
The Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston (SSL) will leverage Greater Boston and the East Coast region as a “test bed” for the development, testing, and implementation of solutions that are environmentally sound, economically sustainable, and socially just.
SSL will actively work to match faculty across disciplines and to build a bridge between practitioners in the community, business, and government to identify research that might have the most significant practical effects.
The Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston will also enhance the activities of existing centers, institutes, and academic programs by coordinating and supporting fundraising and grants, educational programs, social media and outreach, convenings, and conferences.
Why It Works
The transformational power and potential of the Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston draws from
- the distinctive expertise of UMass Boston faculty
- UMass Boston’s culture of cross-disciplinary collaboration and integrative applied research
- innovative partnerships both on- and off-campus
- dynamic, effective ongoing interactions with regional businesses, environmental and community-based organizations, and local, national, and international policymakers