Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Donald Trump, Resign Now for America’s Sake: This is No Time for a Dangerous, Law-breaking, Bungling, Ignorant Ship Captain | Common Dreams Views May 26, 2020
- Fauci Urges Trump to Remain on Golf Course Until Pandemic Is Over | The New Yorker May 26, 2020
- The decade climate change was baked in May 26, 2020
- WMO Statement on the State of the Global Climate i… | E-Library May 26, 2020
- Fleeing climate change — the real environmental disaster | DW Documentary May 25, 2020
- World Meteorological Organization Report: The Global Climate in 2015 – 2019 May 25, 2020
- Largest food bank in U.S. stretched thin amid coronavirus pandemic May 25, 2020
- Middle-class Americans queue at food banks as US unemployment hits 38 million – BBC News May 25, 2020
- Donald Trump delivers Memorial Day address, returns to golf course May 25, 2020
- Inside the Rohingya Refugee Crisis | Between Us May 25, 2020
- Coronavirus cases have exploded in Brazil, Latin America’s largest economy May 25, 2020
- Public Events | cambridgeforum – Webinar – 29 May 2020 – 2:00pm EST May 25, 2020
- Expect something close to an exodus from expensive, large cities: Redfin CEO May 25, 2020
- Why 42% of coronavirus-related job losses will be permanent: Economist May 25, 2020
- Working Woman Testifies About Reality Of Poverty In The U.S. | NowThis May 25, 2020
- How People Are ‘Dying of Whiteness’ Amid COVID-19 | Opinions | NowThis May 25, 2020
- Climate Change Is Turning Antarctica Green | NowThis May 25, 2020
- Explore unknown pathogens, avoid disease outbreaks: Chinese researcher’s task May 25, 2020
- Compassion During Coronavirus: How Is Your Community Responding to COVID-19? May 25, 2020
- What would a second wave look like? | CNBC Explains May 25, 2020
- Americans ignore physical distancing advice over Memorial Day weekend May 25, 2020
- Thousands in Hong Kong protest China’s national security bill May 25, 2020
- Efforts underway to get food from farms to needy May 25, 2020
- Yanis Varoufakis: What Comes After Capitalism | DiEM25 May 25, 2020
- Ancient Art in Holy Land Sardinia Syria Cappadoce 1887 Perrot lovely illustrated leather book May 24, 2020
- YOU are in a New Global Crisis – but Don’t Know It (w/ Richard Wolff) May 24, 2020
- LIVE: Food Rebellion with Toby & Dora May 24, 2020
- Health Experts Warn Of Looming Coronavirus Eruption In Red States May 24, 2020
- Chair Of Walker River Paiute Tribe Send Message To Trump On COVID | NowThis May 24, 2020
- Noam Chomsky on Trump’s Disastrous Coronavirus Response, WHO, China, Gaza and Global Capitalism May 24, 2020
- The Coming Transformation of Educational Systems World-wide | EV & N 346 | CCTV May 24, 2020
- Actress Lori Loughlin, Husband Sentenced To Prison In College Admissions Scandal May 24, 2020
- Today: COVID, Climate Change and Conflict Resolution May 24, 2020
- Top U.S. & World Headlines — May 22, 2020 May 24, 2020
- How the U.S. is Failing People of Color During the Pandemic | Amanpour and Company May 23, 2020
- How American Exceptionalism is Exacerbating the Pandemic | Amanpour and Company May 23, 2020
- Greta Thunberg holds digital conversation on Earth Day May 23, 2020
- Children’s Hospital Doctor Is ‘Convinced’ Inflammatory Syndrome In Children Is Related To COVID-19 – YouTube May 23, 2020
- COVID-19 has exposed “the corpse of neoliberal policy” in India May 23, 2020
- Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos (full film) | FRONTLINE May 23, 2020
- Socially Distant Orchestra plays “Jupiter” in 360° May 23, 2020
- COVID-19 Drives Health Care Tech Innovation in Ghana May 23, 2020
- The Point: U.S. threatens to defund WHO May 23, 2020
- U.S. deployed over 200 military biological laboratories across the world May 23, 2020
- Bolsonaro minimizes COVID-19 surge in Brazil, promotes hydroxychloroquine May 23, 2020
- Brazil records world’s second highest number of COVID-19 cases May 23, 2020
- Mike Davis: Workers Face “Sophie’s Choice” Between Income & Health as 50 States Reopen Amid Pandemic May 23, 2020
- Why the Merkel-Macron ‘Eurobond’ announcement isn’t what it seems: our view | DiEM25 May 23, 2020
- Yanis Varoufakis with Professor Noam Chomsky at NYPL, April 16, 2016 | DiEM25 May 23, 2020
- Noam Chomsky: Coronavirus – what is at stake? | DiEM25 TV May 23, 2020
Daily Archives: February 24, 2017
Climate Ready Boston Released
December 8, 2016
Today marks the release of Climate Ready Boston, a bold initiative that examines the possible impacts of climate change to the city over the next century. You can download the complete report here, or read on for a high-level overview below.
What is Climate Ready Boston?
It’s a roadmap for Boston to be better prepared for coastal, riverine, and stormwater flooding and impacts of heat. The report identifies vulnerabilities, analyzes, and quantifies projected annualized losses, and outlines opportunities to mitigate impacts. In addition to protecting against future flooding and other impacts, resiliency planning works towards opportunities to make Boston an increasingly livable city. Climate Ready Boston offers approaches to preparing the city for uncertain future events, improving the city’s vibrancy, and spurring responsible economic development. Boston’s work in this topic area has very real implications for the future of the city, but also sets an example for resilience planning and investment that leads the region and the nation.
What was the impetus for this initiative?
Climate Ready Boston builds on years of research and discussion on sea level rise in the city. A series of related studies were conducted by a mixture of civic, non-profit, and for-profit entities, including: the City of Boston, Boston Harbor Now, Sasaki, and the Green Ribbon Commission. This precedent work culminated in the City of Boston successfully applying for a Department of Coastal Zone Management grant to complete a detailed vulnerability assessment.
The destabilization of natural systems and the cascading damage of human systems have profound implications for security, prosperity, and justice in this century that compel us to innovate and to act. This crisis also offers a historic opportunity and obligation to employ our ingenuity to discover solutions that lie on the boundaries where disciplines blur.
The Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston (SSL) will leverage Greater Boston and the East Coast region as a “test bed” for the development, testing, and implementation of solutions that are environmentally sound, economically sustainable, and socially just.
SSL will actively work to match faculty across disciplines and to build a bridge between practitioners in the community, business, and government to identify research that might have the most significant practical effects.
The Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston will also enhance the activities of existing centers, institutes, and academic programs by coordinating and supporting fundraising and grants, educational programs, social media and outreach, convenings, and conferences.
Why It Works
The transformational power and potential of the Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston draws from
- the distinctive expertise of UMass Boston faculty
- UMass Boston’s culture of cross-disciplinary collaboration and integrative applied research
- innovative partnerships both on- and off-campus
- dynamic, effective ongoing interactions with regional businesses, environmental and community-based organizations, and local, national, and international policymakers