Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- 1831 Proposal for a Black College in New Haven with Michael Morand: Mondays at Beinecke 9/13/21 September 27, 2021
- Gina’s Journey: The Search for William Grimes September 27, 2021
- Haitian Revolution September 26, 2021
- Looking Back: Farmers’ Agitation Thus Far September 26, 2021
- Solar Wind Watch, Cascadia, Jets, The Core, Mars | S0 News Sep.26.2021 September 26, 2021
- Tsunami visualization September 25, 2021
- MEGATSUNAMI Full Documentary September 25, 2021
- Will climate change cause earthquakes? September 25, 2021
- Waking the Giant: How a changing climate triggers earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes: Bill McGuire September 25, 2021
- La Palma Landslide – East Coast Megatsunami Scenario September 25, 2021
- Magma is Moving Underneath La Palma / Cumbre Vieja; Canary Islands Volcano September 25, 2021
- Video Shows Lava Erupting from La Palma Volcano September 25, 2021
- Emergency team monitors La Palma lava destruction September 25, 2021
- Cystic fibrosis drug: ‘I feel I’ve been given a second chance at life’ – BBC News September 25, 2021
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis on rise in Northern Ireland – BBC News September 25, 2021
- BBC World Service – Newshour, Is this Germany’s climate election? September 25, 2021
- BBC World Service – Newshour, Climate change and the German election September 25, 2021
- BBC World Service – Newshour, UK Prime Minister: Humanity is reaching a “turning point” on climate change September 25, 2021
- 🇳🇬 Nigeria – President Addresses United Nations General Debate, 76th Session (English) | #UNGA September 24, 2021
- House Democrats Are Scared to Tax Billionaires – That’s a Costly Mistake September 24, 2021
- These are the asteroids to worry about September 24, 2021
- Megatsunami Scenario – La Palma Landslide September 24, 2021
- Naked Science – Landslides September 24, 2021
- Massive Crater Discovered Under Greenland Ice September 24, 2021
- Arctic Sea Ice 2021 – NASA September 24, 2021
- Climates, Landscapes, and Civilizations: Giosan, Liviu, Fuller, Dorian Q., Nicoll, Kathleen, Flad, Rowan K., Clift, Peter D. September 23, 2021
- Palaeoepidemiology September 23, 2021
- Mediterranean Voyages: The Archaeology of Island Colonisation and Abandonment (UCL Institute of Archaeology Publications): Helen Dawson September 23, 2021
- Archaeology of African Plant Use (UCL Institute of Archaeology Publications) 1, Stevens, Chris J, Nixon, Sam, Murray, Mary Anne, Fuller, Dorian Q. September 23, 2021
- UCL Institute of Archaeology Publications (67 books) Kindle Edition September 23, 2021
- BBC World Service – Newshour, A month away from UN Climate Summit September 23, 2021
- The Making of the Middle Sea: A History of the Mediterranean from the Beginning to the Emergence of the Classical World: Cyprian Broodbank September 23, 2021
- John William Ward: An American Idealist: Kim Townsend September 23, 2021
- June 2015: John William Ward: An American Idealist By Kim Townsend | 2015 Features | Amherst College September 23, 2021
- The Agrarian Studies Program at Yale University: An Oral History September 21, 2021
- Bill Gates on vaccine equity, boosters, climate, his foundation and Epstein meetings September 21, 2021
- La Palma volcano engulfs village minutes after residents flee their homes – BBC News September 21, 2021
- Big Pharma – How much power do drug companies have? | DW Documentary September 21, 2021
- Children are facing a nutrition crisis | UNICEF September 21, 2021
- Climate Status: Dire and Worsening: According to BAMS Report September 21, 2021
- Stephen H. Grant – Biography of Peter Strickland September 21, 2021
- IPCC WGI Interactive Atlas September 21, 2021
- Climate change IPCC report is ‘code red for humanity’, UN scientists say – BBC News September 21, 2021
- The latest IPCC report explained in 7.5 minutes September 21, 2021
- IPCC – Sixth Assessment Report – AR6 – Working Group I September 21, 2021
- Climate change: IPCC report is ‘code red for humanity’ – BBC News September 21, 2021
- Climate change: UN warning over nations’ climate plans – BBC News September 21, 2021
- Climate reporting reaches melting point – BBC News September 21, 2021
- Canary Islands volcano: Hundreds more evacuated as La Palma lava nears sea – BBC News September 21, 2021
- COVID-19 death toll in US surpasses 1918 pandemic deaths; experts say it didn ’t have to happen – The Boston Globe September 21, 2021
Daily Archives: February 24, 2017
Climate Ready Boston Released
December 8, 2016
Today marks the release of Climate Ready Boston, a bold initiative that examines the possible impacts of climate change to the city over the next century. You can download the complete report here, or read on for a high-level overview below.
What is Climate Ready Boston?
It’s a roadmap for Boston to be better prepared for coastal, riverine, and stormwater flooding and impacts of heat. The report identifies vulnerabilities, analyzes, and quantifies projected annualized losses, and outlines opportunities to mitigate impacts. In addition to protecting against future flooding and other impacts, resiliency planning works towards opportunities to make Boston an increasingly livable city. Climate Ready Boston offers approaches to preparing the city for uncertain future events, improving the city’s vibrancy, and spurring responsible economic development. Boston’s work in this topic area has very real implications for the future of the city, but also sets an example for resilience planning and investment that leads the region and the nation.
What was the impetus for this initiative?
Climate Ready Boston builds on years of research and discussion on sea level rise in the city. A series of related studies were conducted by a mixture of civic, non-profit, and for-profit entities, including: the City of Boston, Boston Harbor Now, Sasaki, and the Green Ribbon Commission. This precedent work culminated in the City of Boston successfully applying for a Department of Coastal Zone Management grant to complete a detailed vulnerability assessment.
The destabilization of natural systems and the cascading damage of human systems have profound implications for security, prosperity, and justice in this century that compel us to innovate and to act. This crisis also offers a historic opportunity and obligation to employ our ingenuity to discover solutions that lie on the boundaries where disciplines blur.
The Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston (SSL) will leverage Greater Boston and the East Coast region as a “test bed” for the development, testing, and implementation of solutions that are environmentally sound, economically sustainable, and socially just.
SSL will actively work to match faculty across disciplines and to build a bridge between practitioners in the community, business, and government to identify research that might have the most significant practical effects.
The Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston will also enhance the activities of existing centers, institutes, and academic programs by coordinating and supporting fundraising and grants, educational programs, social media and outreach, convenings, and conferences.
Why It Works
The transformational power and potential of the Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston draws from
- the distinctive expertise of UMass Boston faculty
- UMass Boston’s culture of cross-disciplinary collaboration and integrative applied research
- innovative partnerships both on- and off-campus
- dynamic, effective ongoing interactions with regional businesses, environmental and community-based organizations, and local, national, and international policymakers