It finally happened here—but there’s still time to save the best of our country.
By Chauncey DeVega / Salon January 21, 2017
America’s increasingly abnormal politics have now surrendered to dystopia.
Donald Trump, a serial liar, narcissist, failed businessman, political con artist, adulterer, professed grabber of women’s genitals without their permission, man who does not read, ignoramus, admirer and fan of despots and dictators, encourager of vigilante violence against innocent people, actor in a porn video, person who does not pay his employees, member of the Vladimir Putin fan club, racist landlord, preferred candidate of neo-Nazis and other fringe racists, professional wrestling villain, and candidate who incites violence against his political opponents, is now the 45th president of the United States of America.
Donald Trump is also a fascist authoritarian in the American mold and leader of the world’s most powerful and influential “democracy.”
Throughout the 2016 presidential campaign, the American news media desperately avoided using such language to describe Donald Trump. They did this because of material self-interest and advertising revenues, as well as an inability to accept how Trump had gamed obsolete journalistic norms of “fairness,” “balance” and “objectivity.”
In doing so, the American news media facilitated Trump’s rise to power. They labeled Trump as a “populist” who was “unconventional.” The American news media kept suggesting that Trump would “pivot” for the general election in order to win more “mainstream” and “centrist” voters. There were some bold voices who said that Trump had “authoritarian tendencies.” But very few commentators had the courage to plainly state that Donald Trump was a fascist — even though the evidence was growing then and is now insurmountable.
Consider the following.
- Donald Trump does not believe in freedom of the press.
- Donald Trump threatens his political enemies with violence and/or prison.
- Donald Trump uses ethnocentrism, bigotry, nativism and racism to mobilize his voters.
- Donald Trump does not believe in standing norms of democratic governance or tradition.
- Donald Trump is a misogynist.
- Donald Trump is obsessed with “strength” and his own “virility.”
- Donald Trump promises “law and order.”
- Donald Trump is a militant nationalist.
- Donald Trump traffics in conspiracy theories and lies.
- Donald Trump admires authoritarians and political strongmen.
- Donald Trump’s most recent press conference was modeled on the way Vladimir Putin manipulates Russia’s news media.
- Donald Trump has surrounded himself with a cabal that consists of family members and self-interested Cabinet appointees, who — like him — stand to enrich themselves through the agencies they are supposed to administer in the public interest.