Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- How Western “complacent exceptionalism” is driving the spread of the coronavirus May 26, 2020
- Caution: COVID-19 surveillance measures will last your lifetime May 26, 2020
- Worst outbreak in 27 years | Swarms of locusts threaten food supply May 26, 2020
- Activist Vandana Shiva And Cycle Mayor of Bengaluru Sathya Sankaran Join #TheCycleOfChange Telethon May 26, 2020
- Vandana Shiva on Oneness vs the 1% May 26, 2020
- DiEM25 TV: “Towards a transformation of hope for the earth” with Vandana Shiva and Stefania Romano May 26, 2020
- EP.873: Dr. Vandana Shiva: Why Treating Coronavirus as a War Will NOT Work! May 26, 2020
- ISF2020: Vandana Shiva & David Suzuki: The Virus is a Wake-up Call May 26, 2020
- Clips from The Seeds of Vandana Shiva May 26, 2020
- Vandana Shiva on Industrial Agriculture May 26, 2020
- Agriculture: The Basics of Our Industrial Food System in 5 minutes May 26, 2020
- Garrison Institute Presents: a LIVE Webinar with Psychologist Rick Hanson PhD May 26, 2020
- Epidemics and the end of humankind | Rosalind Eggo | TEDxThessaloniki May 26, 2020
- Cultivating equality in the food system | Danielle Nierenberg | TEDxManhattan May 26, 2020
- Yo-Yo Ma’s Bach – Open Source with Christopher Lydon May 26, 2020
- A Conversation with Anand Giridharadas May 26, 2020
- Anand Giridharadas on ‘Winners Take All’ and the charade of elite philanthropy | VPRO Documentary May 26, 2020
- Live Memorial and Tribute: Yo-Yo plays Bach this Sunday May 26, 2020
- Flash Mob – Gustav Holst – The Planets: Jupiter (Berklee Contemporary Symphony Orchestra) May 26, 2020
- Edward Elgar – Nimrod May 26, 2020
- Aaron Copland – Fanfare For The Common Man May 26, 2020
- Gustav Holst – The Planets – Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity May 26, 2020
- Brilliant African Innovations Against COVID-19 May 26, 2020
- Virtual Conferences – Africa.com – Webinar Series May 26, 2020
- Settlement Reached Over Arrest of Amy Goodman, Democracy Now! Producers at GOP Convention May 26, 2020
- Native communities have been hit hard by COVID-19 — and fear for their survivall May 26, 2020
- How COVID-19 reshapes our views of life, and of loss May 26, 2020
- Donald Trump, Resign Now for America’s Sake: This is No Time for a Dangerous, Law-breaking, Bungling, Ignorant Ship Captain | Common Dreams Views May 26, 2020
- Fauci Urges Trump to Remain on Golf Course Until Pandemic Is Over | The New Yorker May 26, 2020
- The decade climate change was baked in May 26, 2020
- WMO Statement on the State of the Global Climate i… | E-Library May 26, 2020
- Fleeing climate change — the real environmental disaster | DW Documentary May 25, 2020
- World Meteorological Organization Report: The Global Climate in 2015 – 2019 May 25, 2020
- Largest food bank in U.S. stretched thin amid coronavirus pandemic May 25, 2020
- Middle-class Americans queue at food banks as US unemployment hits 38 million – BBC News May 25, 2020
- Donald Trump delivers Memorial Day address, returns to golf course May 25, 2020
- Inside the Rohingya Refugee Crisis | Between Us May 25, 2020
- Coronavirus cases have exploded in Brazil, Latin America’s largest economy May 25, 2020
- Public Events | cambridgeforum – Webinar – 29 May 2020 – 2:00pm EST May 25, 2020
- Expect something close to an exodus from expensive, large cities: Redfin CEO May 25, 2020
- Why 42% of coronavirus-related job losses will be permanent: Economist May 25, 2020
- Working Woman Testifies About Reality Of Poverty In The U.S. | NowThis May 25, 2020
- How People Are ‘Dying of Whiteness’ Amid COVID-19 | Opinions | NowThis May 25, 2020
- Climate Change Is Turning Antarctica Green | NowThis May 25, 2020
- Explore unknown pathogens, avoid disease outbreaks: Chinese researcher’s task May 25, 2020
- Compassion During Coronavirus: How Is Your Community Responding to COVID-19? May 25, 2020
- What would a second wave look like? | CNBC Explains May 25, 2020
- Americans ignore physical distancing advice over Memorial Day weekend May 25, 2020
- Thousands in Hong Kong protest China’s national security bill May 25, 2020
- Efforts underway to get food from farms to needy May 25, 2020
Daily Archives: December 27, 2016
The Ring of Fire Published on Dec 27, 2016
Published on Sep 3, 2016
Elegance and Decadence – The Age of the Regency Pt 3
Published on Dec 27, 2016
MST’s Gilmar Mauro on the struggle to build a mass organization as an alternative to fascism amidst Brazil’s ongoing political crisis
Published on Dec 27, 2016
As an engineer working abroad in the United Arab Emirates and Qatar, Ahmad Ayash and his wife Fatmeh enjoyed a good life in Syria. But when the war broke out, the family left everything behind. Arriving to the quiet fishing village of Lunenburg, Ahmad began work as his kids settled into school.
David Friendly, the lead of the private sponsor group responsible for the family, spoke with Ahmad many times on Skype before the family’s arrival and felt an instant connection.
David dropped hints to Ahmad that he was Jewish- a fact he worried might make the Syrians wary upon arrival. But he was forthright when they first met- and he says Ahmad sees them as long-lost cousins. “We understand each other more- on a deeper level- because of this shared history from the region,” says David.
Now, the family is determined to be a part of the small, close-knit community. Equally, they’ve been embraced by the residents- highlighting the long history of Maritime communities welcoming immigrants and refugees.
Information for media:
If you would like to use this video to communicate refugee stories or require B-Roll, transcripts, stills or much more information, please contact us at drozditb or tibaw.
Keep up to date with our latest videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/unhcr?su…
UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, works to protect and assist those fleeing war and persecution. Since 1950, we have helped tens of millions of people find safety and rebuild their lives. With your support, we can restore hope for many more.
Read more at http://UNHCR.org
Support our work with refugees now by subscribing to this channel, liking this video and sharing it with your friends and contacts. Thanks so much for your help.
By ADAM NAGOURNEY and HENRY FOUNTAIN December 26, 2016
LOS ANGELES — Foreign governments concerned about climate change may soon be spending more time dealing with Sacramento than Washington.
President-elect Donald J. Trump has packed his cabinet with nominees who dispute the science of global warming. He has signaled he will withdraw the United States from the Paris climate agreement. He has belittled the notion of global warming and attacked policies intended to combat it.
But California — a state that has for 50 years been a leader in environmental advocacy — is about to step unto the breach. In a show of defiance, Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, and legislative leaders said they would work directly with other nations and states to defend and strengthen what were already far and away the most aggressive policies to fight climate change in the nation. That includes a legislatively mandated target of reducing carbon emissions in California to 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030.