Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Epidemics and the end of humankind | Rosalind Eggo | TEDxThessaloniki May 26, 2020
- Cultivating equality in the food system | Danielle Nierenberg | TEDxManhattan May 26, 2020
- Yo-Yo Ma’s Bach – Open Source with Christopher Lydon May 26, 2020
- A Conversation with Anand Giridharadas May 26, 2020
- Anand Giridharadas on ‘Winners Take All’ and the charade of elite philanthropy | VPRO Documentary May 26, 2020
- Live Memorial and Tribute: Yo-Yo plays Bach this Sunday May 26, 2020
- Flash Mob – Gustav Holst – The Planets: Jupiter (Berklee Contemporary Symphony Orchestra) May 26, 2020
- Edward Elgar – Nimrod May 26, 2020
- Aaron Copland – Fanfare For The Common Man May 26, 2020
- Gustav Holst – The Planets – Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity May 26, 2020
- Brilliant African Innovations Against COVID-19 May 26, 2020
- Virtual Conferences – Africa.com – Webinar Series May 26, 2020
- Settlement Reached Over Arrest of Amy Goodman, Democracy Now! Producers at GOP Convention May 26, 2020
- Native communities have been hit hard by COVID-19 — and fear for their survivall May 26, 2020
- How COVID-19 reshapes our views of life, and of loss May 26, 2020
- Donald Trump, Resign Now for America’s Sake: This is No Time for a Dangerous, Law-breaking, Bungling, Ignorant Ship Captain | Common Dreams Views May 26, 2020
- Fauci Urges Trump to Remain on Golf Course Until Pandemic Is Over | The New Yorker May 26, 2020
- The decade climate change was baked in May 26, 2020
- WMO Statement on the State of the Global Climate i… | E-Library May 26, 2020
- Fleeing climate change — the real environmental disaster | DW Documentary May 25, 2020
- World Meteorological Organization Report: The Global Climate in 2015 – 2019 May 25, 2020
- Largest food bank in U.S. stretched thin amid coronavirus pandemic May 25, 2020
- Middle-class Americans queue at food banks as US unemployment hits 38 million – BBC News May 25, 2020
- Donald Trump delivers Memorial Day address, returns to golf course May 25, 2020
- Inside the Rohingya Refugee Crisis | Between Us May 25, 2020
- Coronavirus cases have exploded in Brazil, Latin America’s largest economy May 25, 2020
- Public Events | cambridgeforum – Webinar – 29 May 2020 – 2:00pm EST May 25, 2020
- Expect something close to an exodus from expensive, large cities: Redfin CEO May 25, 2020
- Why 42% of coronavirus-related job losses will be permanent: Economist May 25, 2020
- Working Woman Testifies About Reality Of Poverty In The U.S. | NowThis May 25, 2020
- How People Are ‘Dying of Whiteness’ Amid COVID-19 | Opinions | NowThis May 25, 2020
- Climate Change Is Turning Antarctica Green | NowThis May 25, 2020
- Explore unknown pathogens, avoid disease outbreaks: Chinese researcher’s task May 25, 2020
- Compassion During Coronavirus: How Is Your Community Responding to COVID-19? May 25, 2020
- What would a second wave look like? | CNBC Explains May 25, 2020
- Americans ignore physical distancing advice over Memorial Day weekend May 25, 2020
- Thousands in Hong Kong protest China’s national security bill May 25, 2020
- Efforts underway to get food from farms to needy May 25, 2020
- Yanis Varoufakis: What Comes After Capitalism | DiEM25 May 25, 2020
- Ancient Art in Holy Land Sardinia Syria Cappadoce 1887 Perrot lovely illustrated leather book May 24, 2020
- YOU are in a New Global Crisis – but Don’t Know It (w/ Richard Wolff) May 24, 2020
- LIVE: Food Rebellion with Toby & Dora May 24, 2020
- Health Experts Warn Of Looming Coronavirus Eruption In Red States May 24, 2020
- Chair Of Walker River Paiute Tribe Send Message To Trump On COVID | NowThis May 24, 2020
- Noam Chomsky on Trump’s Disastrous Coronavirus Response, WHO, China, Gaza and Global Capitalism May 24, 2020
- The Coming Transformation of Educational Systems World-wide | EV & N 346 | CCTV May 24, 2020
- Actress Lori Loughlin, Husband Sentenced To Prison In College Admissions Scandal May 24, 2020
- Today: COVID, Climate Change and Conflict Resolution May 24, 2020
- Top U.S. & World Headlines — May 22, 2020 May 24, 2020
- How the U.S. is Failing People of Color During the Pandemic | Amanpour and Company May 23, 2020
Daily Archives: November 12, 2016
Political upheaval has major influence over the stock markets, and with climate-change-denying Donald Trump’s “disaster” of an election win, renewable energy investment is looking bleak at the moment as dirty energy surges.
The world’s top coal trader Glencore Plc rose more than 5 percent today while the world’s biggest wind-turbine maker Vestas Wind Systems A/S fell about 13 percent, according to Bloomberg. Solar companies First Solar, SunPower and SolarCity were down a respective 6 percent, 17 percent and 6 percent this morning. Shares in European renewable energy equipment makers and utilities with significant investments in the U.S. have fallen as much as 10 percent, Reuters reported.
As Bloomberg warned in its report, “the swing foretells a story of fossil fuels making a comeback, while the fight against climate change—and investment in wind and solar power—languishes.”
Our president-elect—who literally said “the wind kills all your birds” and solar is “not working so good”—has made no bones about his support of dirty energy, from his ties to the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline to his pledge to bring back the dirtiest fuel on the planet, coal.
The U.S. wind power industry is “bracing itself for an uncertain future following the election of Donald Trump to the presidency,” staff from Wind Power Monthly wrote in a column today. The publication quoted Trump’s plans to “unleash America’s $50 trillion in untapped shale, oil, and natural gas reserves, plus hundreds of years in clean coal reserves.”
Nov. 10, 2016 11:00AM EST
Here’s How Trump Plans to Dismantle Environmental Laws
According to Politico:
Hamm, an Oklahoma billionaire who has been a friend of Trump’s for years, has been the leading influence on Trump’s energy policy during the campaign. If Hamm passes, venture capitalist Robert Grady is also seen as a top candidate, though he could also be in line for Interior.
Forrest Lucas, the 74-year-old co-founder of oil products firm Lucas Oil, is favored as a top choice to lead the Department of the Interior.
However, according to Politico:
Trump’s presidential transition team is also eyeing venture capitalist Robert Grady, a George H.W. Bush White House official with ties to Chris Christie. And Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr., is said to be interested in the job.
Meanwhile, a person who spoke to the Trump campaign told POLITICO that the aides have also discussed tapping Sarah Palin for Interior Secretary. Trump has said he’d like to put Palin in his cabinet, and Palin has made no secret of her interest.
Other possible candidates include former Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer; Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin; Wyoming Rep. Cynthia Lummis; and Oklahoma oilman Harold Hamm.
Sarah Palin / Harold Hamm
Although Trump has previously said he would abolish the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), reports say he will instead ask climate skeptic Myron Ebell to lead the agency. In September, Trump said he will “refocus the EPA on its core mission of ensuring clean air, and clean, safe drinking water for all Americans.”
By Reynard Loki
If the world’s governments don’t prevent the planet’s surface temperature from increasing more than 2 C, then life on Earth will become a difficult proposition for many humans, animals and plants. Glaciers will melt, sea levels will rise, crops will fail, water availability will decrease and diseases will proliferate. Some areas will experience more wildfires and extreme heat; in others, more hurricanes and extreme storms. Coastal cities and possibly entire nations will be swallowed by the sea. There will be widespread social and economic instability, leading to regional conflicts.
Considering that the U.S. is the world’s second biggest emitter behind China, accounting for 16 percent of cumulative global greenhouse gas emissions, the climate decisions President Donald Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress make will be critical for future generations. But he has shown no sign that he’s remotely interested in tackling what climate scientist James Hansen calls “humanity’s greatest challenge.”
Contrary to the view of the international scientific community, Trump has called climate change a “con job” and a “myth.” In 2012 he tweeted that “the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.” He cited cold winter weather as evidence that global warming isn’t real, tweeting during a 2014 winter blizzard, “The entire country is freezing—we desperately need a heavy dose of global warming and fast! Ice caps size reaches all time high.”