Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- British Museum pledges ‘not to dismantle’ Parthenon Sculptures amid reports of talks with Greece December 4, 2022
- VA denied benefits for Black veterans at higher rate for decades, lawsuit says December 4, 2022
- Royal Expert says royal visit to Boston is a big deal December 4, 2022
- Kate Stops for Selfies Outside Harvard University December 4, 2022
- Princess Catherine greets the crowd outside Harvard University December 4, 2022
- Three Plans to Revive Our Oceans | The Earthshot Prize 2022 | PBS December 4, 2022
- Incredible Solutions to Protect and Restore Nature | The Earthshot Prize 2022 | PBS December 4, 2022
- GLOBALink | Cotton Talk between Chinese & U.S. farmers December 4, 2022
- Richard D. Wolff | The SYSTEM Has FAILED December 3, 2022
- Ways to Build a Waste-Free World | The Earthshot Prize 2022 | PBS – YouTube December 3, 2022
- Appeals Court Special Master Ruling Clears Way For DOJ On Mar-a-Lago Investigation December 3, 2022
- Federal Investigations Of Trump In Full Stride After Election; Multiple Aides Testifying December 3, 2022
- Lawrence: Appeals Court Tells Trump Something He Never Hears – YouTube December 3, 2022
- Grain and the war in Ukraine – Is Russia using wheat as leverage? | DW Documentary December 3, 2022
- Spacewalkers install rollout solar array outside space station December 3, 2022
- RecovStick | Easily Backup All Your Files With This ‘Smart USB’ December 3, 2022
- Oliver St. Clair Franklin, O. B. E. December 3, 2022
- The Black Jacobins: Toussaint L’Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution: C.L.R. James December 3, 2022
- John Brennan: What Trump Did ‘Has Already Caused Significant Damage’ December 3, 2022
- ADL’s Greenblatt: Trump’s Social Media Attack On Jews ‘Are Dangerous Comments At A Dangerous Time’ December 3, 2022
- Trump’s Fuentes, Ye Meeting Puts His Past Embrace Of Anti-Semitic Figures Into Focus December 3, 2022
- Trump’s Dinner ‘Disaster’: Ye, Anti-Semite Meeting Engulfs GOP December 3, 2022
- UNEARTHED FOOTAGE Shows Trump Using Anti-Semitic Remarks December 3, 2022
- Kanye West’s antisemitism casts shadow on Donald Trump December 3, 2022
- Prince, Princess of Wales wrap up 3-day trip to Boston December 3, 2022
- Shock in Senegal as female MP assaulted by her male colleagues in parliament • FRANCE 24 English December 2, 2022
- Climate Change and Impacts | A Pale Blue Dot under Pressure December 2, 2022
- The Time of Slavery | Ariela J. Gross || Harvard Radcliffe Institute December 2, 2022
- Beyond “Fair Harvard”: Perspectives from Black Alumni December 2, 2022
- The New McCarthyism: Angela Davis Speaks in New York After Critics Shut Down Two Events December 2, 2022
- Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy for Plotting to Violently Overthrow U.S. Gov’t December 2, 2022
- The future of food and agriculture: Drivers and triggers for transformation December 2, 2022
- Historical blue Staffordshire platter sold at auction on 18th August | Pook & Pook December 1, 2022
- Our Shared Future: Reckoning With Our Racial Past – NATIONAL CONVERSATION ON RACE December 1, 2022
- Harvard Defends Race-Conscious Admissions at the Supreme Court | Harvard Magazine December 1, 2022
- School principals say misinformation, politics made last year ‘rough as hell’ : NPR December 1, 2022
- Historical blue Staffordshire platter 19th c., depicting Christiansburg Danish Settlement on the Gold Coast of Africa December 1, 2022
- FAO/WHO Global Individual Food Consumption Data Tool December 1, 2022
- Solar Flare, Tsunami at Supervolcano, Nova Needed | S0 News Dec.1.2022 December 1, 2022
- China loosens covid curbs after week of historic protests • FRANCE 24 English December 1, 2022
- 2016 Grand Bassam beach resort attack trial opens in Ivory Coast • FRANCE 24 English November 30, 2022
- 2022 Right Livelihood Award Presentation November 30, 2022
- Attorney General Garland hails Oath Keepers verdict November 30, 2022
- Chris St. Clair: How Has Canada’s Climate Changed? November 30, 2022
- Future of Obuasi | AngloGold Ashanti November 30, 2022
- The New Corporation: The Unfortunately Necessary Sequel November 30, 2022
- Anthropocene – Official U.S. Trailer November 30, 2022
- The Anthropocene: The age of mankind – Docu – 2017 November 30, 2022
- Shoshana Zuboff on surveillance capitalism | VPRO Documentary November 30, 2022
- How Europe’s Waste is Poisoning Ghanaian Children November 30, 2022
Daily Archives: June 27, 2016
By Euan McKirdy, CNN
Updated 0226 GMT (1026 HKT) June 27, 2016
Hong Kong (CNN)Beijing residents have put up with choking smog, trash-filled rivers and toxic running tracks. Now they have another concern — sinking.
An international study led by Beijing-based researchers has discovered that the city is dropping by as much as 11 centimeters (4 inches) in some districts per year.
The thirsty city has depleted its groundwater, which the study identified as the cause of the sinking.
Using satellite imagery and GPS data, the team analyzed topographical trends from 2003 to 2010 and found that the city, which has a population of over 20 million, was sinking at an alarming rate.
Its central districts are among the worst affected, the study says. The main subsidence bowls are distributed over the Chaoyang, Changping, Shunyi and Tongzhou districts. Chaoyang, in the eastern suburbs, is the worst affected, with subsidence of 11 cm per year.
Beijing is ranked as the fifth most water-stressed city in the world, the study notes, and as China continues to urbanize, the stress on subterranean aquifers is only set to worsen.
Living a nightmare in China’s city of sinkholes
In Beijing, groundwater is the main water source — two thirds — for everything from industrial and agricultural use to household consumption. China media outlet Sina estimates that the capital requires 3.5 billion liters of water per year….
Published on Jun 26, 2016
Belgium is home to the European Parliament but that hasn’t stopped many there questioning whether they should leave the EU. After recent attacks, there’s a groundswell movement wanting to cut ties with Europe.
Al Jazeera’s Natacha Butler reports.