29 June 2015
CIDSE and the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace will hold a two-day conference in Rome, taking place on 2-3 July 2015
The conference will bring together Church leaders, Decision Makers, Scientists as well as a wide range of representatives of Catholic and civil society organisations from different regions of the world.
The occasion for this conference is the felt need to link the momentum of the publication of Pope Francis’ Encyclical Letter Laudato Si’ with the key political decisions that will be taken in the course of the year.
Indeed, during the second half of 2015 three major UN conferences will take place:
• The Addis Ababa meeting on Financing for Development;
• The UN General Assembly meeting to approve the new Sustainable Development Goals in September;
• And the Paris meeting in December to agree a Global Climate deal.
All three summits are inter-related and deal with giving economic development a new direction to serve people and the planet. This conference, planned to look at the relationship between care for creation, integral human development, global justice and concern for the poor in the light of Catholic Social Teaching and the upcoming Encyclical, is meant to mark in a fitting manner the fiftieth anniversary of the foundation of CIDSE.
The sessions of the conference will focus on:
• The integral ecology and the horizon for hope in light of the Holy Father’s Encyclical letter Laudato Si’ on care for our common home
• The Importance of the Encyclical Laudato Si’ for the Church and the World, in the Light of Significant Political Events in 2015 and Beyond
• Pathways that respect our common home
Global Climate Change