Big Changes In Higher Ed
Universities are scrambling to get out front of the Internet and revolutionary change in higher education.
The old saw goes that things that can’t last don’t last. Traditional American colleges and universities may be in that category right now. They cost too much. Young Americans are graduating with punishing debt. And the Internet is offering a big alternative.
The superhot phrase of the academic season is MOOC: Massive Open Online Course. Top schools are racing to offer them. Sign up, dive in, learn – from anywhere. Goodbye campus and quad. Maybe. How will this really work?
This hour, On Point: a college system at the breaking point meets the Internet revolution.
Jeff Selingo, editor-at-large at the Chronicle of Higher Education.
John Mitchell, Stanford University’s vice provost.
Mark Taylor, chair of the religion department at Columbia University. You can read his provocative op-ed on the future of higher ed here.
Calendar – Click on Date for links entered on that Day
- Climate Changes Happening Faster Than We Thought
- Vandana Shiva & Jane Goodall on Serving the Earth & How Women Can Address Climate Crisis | Democracy Now!
- Democracy Now! U.S. and World News Headlines for Wednesday, December 4
- “There Is A War On Journalism”: Jeremy Scahill on NSA Leaks & New Investigative Reporting Venture
- Large Companies Prepared to Pay Price on Carbon – NYTimes.com
- 5MIN News December 5, 2013: Ceres Ice, Saturn Hex, Filament Erupts
- A Social Currency For Change: Richard Tubb at TEDxLaunceston
- Sustainable Energy: Thermal Banking Greenhouse Design
- Migrants find stepping stone to Europe
- Not For Shale: Anti-fracking protests as Europe drills despite risks
- Pinch of Poverty: Millions in EU forced to live close to breadline
- Radioactive material recovered in Mexico
- How can i keep from singing?
- FAO director: ‘A man who wakes up hungry is an angry man’ | EurActiv
- The Pathology of the Rich – Chris Hedges on Reality Asserts Itself pt1
- Complain for the Planet: Dave Meyer at TEDxCarletonCollege
- MOVE AHEAD!
- BRIGHTEN UP!
- 12 Corporate Espionage Tactics Used Against Progressive Groups, Activists and Whistleblowers
- Global Change & the Earth System: Prof Will Steffen Apr 09
- Climate Change and Water: Rights and Runoff
- Answering Climate Change Skeptics, Naomi Oreskes
- Climate Change 2010: Where do we go from here? Professor Will Steffen. March 2010, ANU
- Will Steffen
- WFP Forced To Cut Food Assistance In DR Congo
- Snowden and Greenwald: The Men Who Leaked the Secrets
- Ceres – Mobilizing Business Leadership for a Sustainable World